Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Ferris 52" IS2000Z, which one: KAW FX730V 22.5HP or B&S Turf 28HP?

Help me decide between the following Ferris choices (both are the same price):

A) New old stock (likely 2010 model) IS2000 52" dealer left over (never mowed grass): out the door for xxxx*
Kawasaki FX730V has mulitple HP ratings depending on where you look: 23.5HP to 22.2HP (later most likely correct)
This engine has the external donaldson air filter setup
3 year engine warranty
(FYI: current 2012 KAW engine is a FX801V rated at 25.5HP, the MSRP of this option is 1K higher than the Turf option below)
B) New 2012 IS2000 52" with B&S Commercial Turf 28HP (810cc): out the door for xxxx*
This relatively new engine has the integrated donaldson air filter setup in the cowl
2 year engine warranty
This Briggs is rated at 126% the KAW FX horsepower (+5.8HP)

Expected use around 30 hours/year (yes this is light use), sloping lot with a 25 degree 50' wide hill in the back for an elevation change of 10 feet. I plan/desire to get 20+ years use out of this purchase, will keep on top of all the maintenance myself.

*Price xxxx listed since I don't know the pricing policy on this forum, both are available at the same price which is a little below the MSRP of the turf version out the door (i.e. after tax).

I've looked at 10 brands of zero turn mowers, all have their tradeoffs and commonalities, but the suspension performance of the Ferris IS2000 wins out in my case.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdlawn View Post
Help me decide between the following Ferris choices (both are the same price):

A) New old stock (likely 2010 model) IS2000 52" dealer left over (never mowed grass): out the door for xxxx*
Kawasaki FX730V has mulitple HP ratings depending on where you look: 23.5HP to 22.2HP (later most likely correct)
This engine has the external donaldson air filter setup
3 year engine warranty
(FYI: current 2012 KAW engine is a FX801V rated at 25.5HP, the MSRP of this option is 1K higher than the Turf option below)
B) New 2012 IS2000 52" with B&S Commercial Turf 28HP (810cc): out the door for xxxx*
This relatively new engine has the integrated donaldson air filter setup in the cowl
2 year engine warranty
This Briggs is rated at 126% the KAW FX horsepower (+5.8HP)

Expected use around 30 hours/year (yes this is light use), sloping lot with a 25 degree 50' wide hill in the back for an elevation change of 10 feet. I plan/desire to get 20+ years use out of this purchase, will keep on top of all the maintenance myself.

*Price xxxx listed since I don't know the pricing policy on this forum, both are available at the same price which is a little below the MSRP of the turf version out the door (i.e. after tax).

I've looked at 10 brands of zero turn mowers, all have their tradeoffs and commonalities, but the suspension performance of the Ferris IS2000 wins out in my case.
If it was me.... I would get the 2012 IS200Z w/ the KAW engine is a FX801V rated at 25.5HP...(they under rated it... it has more than 25hp...like 29hp)
You would have the ultimate cutting machine....
Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

The only Briggs that I would consider for commercial use would be the Vanguard.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The B&S engine is a homeowner engine pure and simple. It is nothing more than the old Intek engine with a fancier air filter, fuel filter, and oil filter. It is definitely not a commercial grade engine despite what B&S tries to tell people. I would not want to have to worry about break downs at inopportune moments.

The Kohler engine you list was their 25 hp Command until this year. Now, under the new and more accurate rating system (J1995), it is rated at 22.5 HP. It is still the same engine and real world HP it always was, and will do the same job. Only the way it is rated has changed. I had that engine until about a month ago. It ran my 60" 7 iron deck with no problem.

The Kawi you have listed is the former 29 HP engine, which as you noted is now 25.5 HP. Still the exact same engine and power as well, and like the Kohler is now rated under the new system, and that would be my first choice, followed by the Kohler. I will never buy anything with the BS Pro Turf series engine if I can help it. The Vangaurd engine is another story, and would be right at the top of my picks if given the option.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA Green Services View Post
If it was me.... I would get the 2012 IS200Z w/ the KAW engine is a FX801V rated at 25.5HP...(they under rated it... it has more than 25hp...like 29hp)
You would have the ultimate cutting machine....
This is not correct.

It is actually 25.5 as rated and witnessed by TUV Rhineland/SAE. The former rating of 29 was not true HP. It was rated under the old and much more loose J1940 system.

However, I agree with your engine choice, and said so in my post above this one.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
This is not correct.

It is actually 25.5 as rated and witnessed by TUV Rhineland/SAE. The former rating of 29 was not true HP. It was rated under the old and much more loose J1940 system.

However, I agree with your engine choice, and said so in my post above this one.
Thanks for the correction.... sorry about that.... I know about the change in rating... thanks again....
Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just like Ridin' Green said, the Briggs is a HOMEOWNER engine. Period.
Even though the one with the Kawasaki is older you should get that one because it will last you MUCH longer than the Briggs.
Kubota
Wright
Earthway
Blizzard plows
SnowEx salters
And many more....

Old 04-06-2012, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Based upon the responses and comments I'm leaning strongly in favor of the Kawasaki engine. Now the question raised by CCA Green Services, should I move from the FX730V to the FX801V for an additional $850?
Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Based upon the responses and comments I'm leaning strongly in favor of the Kawasaki engine. Now the question raised by CCA Green Services, should I move from the FX730V to the FX801V for an additional $850?
It's up to you, my friend.... I would.... but it all about what you can afford...
Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
i currently own a 2009 is1500 with the 25 hp motor. all i can say is..i love it! the suspention is awesome compared to...nothing. lol there isn't anything to compare it to! but in all seriousness, the ferris is1500z i run in my lawncare business is the best! it will mow through almost anything and you will be confortable doing it. in my opinion if you are only mowing that small amount, the 1500 is all you need.

Equipment

-2009 52" Ferris IS1500z
-2004 36" Toro Proline
-2002 Ford F250 7.3 Powerstroke
-2006 Ford F250 6.0 Powerstroke
- 6 1/2' x 16' Utility Trailer
- Stihl Trimmer
- Stihl Blower

Tags
briggs & stratton , ferris , is2000 , kawasaki fx