Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-06-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Service Magic and Angie's List

What is everyone's reviews/experience with these websites?

I've already signed up for Angie's List and am waiting for a call back Monday about signing up for Service Magic.

It sounds like a good service but I am a bit hesitant to pay per lead.

Questions, especially about service magic:

1) How good were the leads you received?

2) What was your rate of conversion (how many actually turned into clients)?

3) How many leads did you get per week/month and how much did it cost you?

4) Any complaints about how the company treated you or about the service in general?

Thanks for the input folks, hopefully some people with experience will chime in.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I did Service Magic briefly- its a system that rewards the fast and cheap.

Look at Redbeacon, Thumbtack, and Homeblue. I prefer all three of them- especially Redbeacon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
I did Service Magic briefly- its a system that rewards the fast and cheap.

Look at Redbeacon, Thumbtack, and Homeblue. I prefer all three of them- especially Redbeacon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Redbeacon looks great but does not work in my area.

The appeal of service magic to me was that it was more direct. The leads coming to you instead of you coming to the leads.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

IHA I know a fair bit about the space since I'm working in it. One I haven't talked to anyone who LIKES service magic that's not to say they still don't use them but they don't really like it. They charge per lead, they sell the same lead to multiple companies in your area, and depending on area and service depends on what they charge. I think the minimum is about $15-$20.

Now for a little bit of a commercial. My site works more like red beacon only for landscape and outdoor companies. There are some differences but that's the idea. Full disclosure it only went live about a week ago so there's probably not jobs yet in your area. However, it's FREE to create a listing right now and it's a nice link to your website or Facebook page for FREE. There's a place to show off your work, logos etc. all FREE. Poke around, my site is completely transparent so you can see how it works. I'd love to hear what you do or don't like about it.
Thanks,
Phil
ServiceVines.com
Old 04-07-2012, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I did service magic a few years ago and hated it. I would not recommend using them.
I have been using Angie's List for a while now and it has not worked out for me. I have not gotten a call, email anything. Most people on there are looking for business who already have reviews. But hey its free!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjackson View Post
IHA I know a fair bit about the space since I'm working in it. One I haven't talked to anyone who LIKES service magic that's not to say they still don't use them but they don't really like it. They charge per lead, they sell the same lead to multiple companies in your area, and depending on area and service depends on what they charge. I think the minimum is about $15-$20.

Now for a little bit of a commercial. My site works more like red beacon only for landscape and outdoor companies. There are some differences but that's the idea. Full disclosure it only went live about a week ago so there's probably not jobs yet in your area. However, it's FREE to create a listing right now and it's a nice link to your website or Facebook page for FREE. There's a place to show off your work, logos etc. all FREE. Poke around, my site is completely transparent so you can see how it works. I'd love to hear what you do or don't like about it.
Thanks,
Phil
ServiceVines.com
Thanks, went ahead and signed up for your website. Plan to get as many leads from as many quality sites as possible.

Still on the fences about Service Magic, it seems not many people like it but many use it.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHA Services View Post
What is everyone's reviews/experience with these websites?

I've already signed up for Angie's List and am waiting for a call back Monday about signing up for Service Magic.

It sounds like a good service but I am a bit hesitant to pay per lead.

Per lead is the only way to pay. Do you want to pay for leads you don't get?

Questions, especially about service magic:

1) How good were the leads you received?

Half of the leads are garbage. You make your money from the other half.

2) What was your rate of conversion (how many actually turned into clients)?

1 out of 4. The leads cost me $12 each. I get a new customer for $50. This is a bargain!

3) How many leads did you get per week/month and how much did it cost you?

This varies greatly.

4) Any complaints about how the company treated you or about the service in general?

Plenty of complaints. Remember, I said half of the leads are junk.

Thanks for the input folks, hopefully some people with experience will chime in.
ServiceMagic built my business. It is far from perfect but it is very cost effective. Depending on your market segment your leads are going to one or two others contractors. The first one to call them back usually gets the business, so call them immediately if not sooner.

If you concentrate on it's flaws you will hate it but if you work it properly and look at the results you will find it to be the most cost effective stream of lead generation you have.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Member

i have did angie list for 3 years now and it works great for me its free!!!! and i average 4-5 more clients a year with it... not much but you not paying anything..

service magic i did for about 2 years and i hated it!!! false leads, most people where not ready for service....etc
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Im signed up with service magic, and if I don't get this last job I just quoted, im cancelling it. 95% of the calls are garbage, half the people don't even realize what the service is, I call....'oh, is this what i signed up for?? i don't really need anything'
A lot of the calls, are calls you don't really want. Customers you don't want. In about 8 months, I scored one stupid little leaf clean up, which paid for half of the leads I got. This job I just bid, will probably pay for all the leads, plus this coming up years leads.....so Im sure I won't get the job, el oh el.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjackson View Post

Thanks,
Phil
ServiceVines.com
What do you charge for leads?
Does each provider pay for the lead or only the one that books the job?