Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-06-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Going after school systems

The township I am in is talking about sending out the sub contracts to take care of school system landscaping. I would love to get the job but do not want to bid too far under nor go crazy on the bid to try and get a huge nut on it. I am looking to expand the business by getting good referrals from this. Any advice as I am very excited about offering up the fact that the product I will be using is non chemical (SumaGreen Turf) and safe for kids. I figure the school will eat that up and would give me a bump up on the list.

Any other suggestions? What am I missing that I should think about when making my bid. I was hoping to hear from people that maybe have bid out to either school systems before or have bid for city contracts.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn132012 View Post
The township I am in is talking about sending out the sub contracts to take care of school system landscaping. I would love to get the job but do not want to bid too far under nor go crazy on the bid to try and get a huge nut on it. I am looking to expand the business by getting good referrals from this. Any advice as I am very excited about offering up the fact that the product I will be using is non chemical (SumaGreen Turf) and safe for kids. I figure the school will eat that up and would give me a bump up on the list.

Any other suggestions? What am I missing that I should think about when making my bid. I was hoping to hear from people that maybe have bid out to either school systems before or have bid for city contracts.

Thanks
With budgets being stripped to the bone, due to falling property values which fund the school systems your bidding on I would never risk any ROI for any work that is being funded by state tax funds. Let the other folks go out and end up sorry.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-06-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Very interesting. I thought it would not be that bad and fairly worth while considering the school system. Thanks
Old 04-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn132012 View Post
Very interesting. I thought it would not be that bad and fairly worth while considering the school system. Thanks
Worth while and having a net profit at the end of the contract could be Two very different matters. If the school system your bidding on decides to close the schools you have bid on or decide to handle the work in house even though it is going out for bid now what than?. If you have never bid county work in the past, I would consider sitting this bid out for this election year.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-06-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

You have definitely given me something to think about.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2012, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Marry the daughter of someone high up in the School Committee.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What is the actual specs they want? Still need to maintain the properties and ck,to see if you can even do lawn care anymore most schools have banned any use of it. And if it is sent out to bid ,sure hope your a black women with disability and owner of the company to win it.