Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2012, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A combination of the low rate of Speedzone Southern and metsulfuron will remove this weed. Best to apply this before it gets too hot.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 04-07-2012, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Duekster

Speed zone southern is a 3 way herbicide that has had a St Augustine Label until some one in the Tampa area over applied it in hot weather. As result Gordon's took St A. off the label as a tolerant turf. It is still labeled for turf and therefore both legal and effective weed killer on St Augustine if applied correctly.

BTW there are still a few non name brand 3 way herbicides with St A. still on the label.
Howdy Ric!

I think Trimec 992 does not have it on the lable on the interweb but the jug I picked does.

Hope life is treating you well.

Too bad people not reading the lable are taking away our toys.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

People plain not using their brain when applying chemicals is a part of this too. Just because you can does not mean you should do something. I have not seen horrific damage caused by herbicides on st augustine or other warm season grasses. Then again, I use my brain. No applications to starved lawns, dried out lawns or improperly mowed lawns. Also when a product says so much per acre or 1000 sq ft, that does not mean I throw in an arbitrary amount in a 4 gallon backpack. The equipment used to apply is designed to put down fixed volumes per areas covered. I have given out the rates and mixes I used with the warning not to try "spot spraying" them. That mix I gave out for alligator weed is not to be "spot sprayed". I was at a golf course yesterday and was horrified to see the roughs and fairways look like a missile test site. There is no reason for that.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree loved using speedzone and threeway on st Augustinen. Idiots ruining the business just like everything else. Here's a good question for you guys: Why not make it harder to be an applicater then take away all the good stuff?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't it already hard to become an applicator in your state? That does not fix the combination of ignorant and stubborn teaching the new guy how to be the same way. Not saying that I am perfect. In some cases, I do not kill 100% of the weeds in the first application. But burning stripes, spots or the entire lawn out does not happen. Here, if it is not windy or raining, the temperature is pushing 90. I would not apply in the wind or rain. Lawns can tolerate the label rates of products if they are not starved, dried out or going through anything else that compromises their growth. Therefore, as the applicator, I exercise control over the water and fertilization or no deal. It is not as simple as spraying the lawn and tagging and flagging.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

You can spray under someones license as a cardholder with no experience and trust me I have seen my fair share of them while I trained for scotts. Hired a lot of people with zero experience on lawns and never even thought about chemicals. Am I the only ocala guy here? Just curious
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soddog#1 View Post
You can spray under someones license as a cardholder with no experience and trust me I have seen my fair share of them while I trained for scotts. Hired a lot of people with zero experience on lawns and never even thought about chemicals. Am I the only ocala guy here? Just curious
Posted via Mobile Device
i think so. there is/was one or 2 guys from gainesville, but not sure about ocala....i graduated from UF in 2008...
Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Alligatorweed is actually a aquatic weed and normally only found on over watered lawns. Mowing actually spreads Alligatorweed by vegetative propagation. Recommend Aquatic chemical suppression include Glyphosate and 2,4-D which is one the herbicides in 3 Way. However Triclopyr is listed as a control. Once the Alligatorweed hits land 2,4-D will control it. Remember Alligatorweed grows as a Emersed plant or under water but does break the surface.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Howdy Ric!

I think Trimec 992 does not have it on the label on the interweb but the jug I picked does.

Hope life is treating you well.

Too bad people not reading the lable are taking away our toys.
Duekster

Same story on Lesco 3 way. Only I have a PDF label down load saved on my computer with St A listed as a tolerant turf. Once again a CYA move by the manufacture because of miss application. Today's Lesco Three Way is the formulation as my label and I have never had a problem with it.

BTW a Common problem with St Augustine herbicides because St Augustine is so susceptible to over application of herbicides. Yes people who don't read the label are hurting both the environment and our industry.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=flightjunkie;4374434]Thanks everyone for all your assistance. I was able to find a strand that had a flower so here it goes.

looks like Virginia button weed.