Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2012, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Employee Handbook

Does anyone write or have an employee handbook they implement with there work force. I am in the process of writing one up because for the past few years people that work for me seem to not understand what I expect from them.

Anyone have one they would share with me? I by no means want to copy or steal your handbook, but I want to use it maybe for ideas. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

handbook

I have a handbook ( operations manual) that I have written based on my 40 years in the Turf Industry.It is from the beginning of the day to the end. This fits most companies but might need to be modified, depending on your company.

Ken
Old 04-07-2012, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I would be very interested to read your handbook. I have been an owner operated company for about 3 years now, but I am looking to expand to multiple crews. Something like a handbook could make life a ton less stressful.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

There are really several "books" you need to develop. The Employee Handbook that outlines the employee employer relationship. When is pay day, who pays for uniforms, what are the benefits, what gets you fired, what is the chain of command etc.

Then you need an Operations Manual and you will probably want a different one for each position. What is the system for operating a 21" mower, a walk behind, or a stand on. How do you line trim what is the proper method, steps etc.

Here is the table of contents for my employee handbook

Table of contents
1. Our systems
2. Compliance
3. Privacy
4. Employment issues
5. Benefits
6. Career development

Then for operations the laborer or gnome position it looks like this.

General Systems

• Gardeners “Rules to Live By”

• Completing Time Sheets

• Truck Etiquette

• Communication Etiquette

Gnome Systems

• Luminescent Lighting

• Perfect Cut Every time

• Magical Mulch Cover

• Weed & Trash Free

• Stupendous Flowers

• Effective Cleaning Methods

• Equipment Safety

• Loading and Unloading Debris

• Proper Pot Watering

Its a long road and if your not going to train, and demand the rules/systems are followed don't bother. It is a lot of work and its never done. The system you have for loading and unloading debris changes based on what type of truck or trailer your dumping into, just as an example.

When you change the way you do things you need to change the books. For an already busy guy its just one more thing. Not trying to discourage you I'm just saying there is a reason most guys don't go beyond the crew that they work with. Its a hell of a lot of work.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 04-08-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for responding. As I stand right now I am operating with my brother and labor as needed. The transition to 2 crews will be easy but beyond that, I will need literature like you have outlined. Would you be willing to send me a copy of what you use? I would be willing to pay for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Great State of Texas Workforce commision actually has a nice outline of a Handbook and covers a lot but it fits our right to work state laws. They even warn you if some policies might be questioned at the federal level if misapplied.

I also had an employment lawyer write my employment agreement, application. It cost me a several hours of my time and 2K of the lawyers billing.

The employment lawyer handled the pre-screening questions/ background check and the no-raid. Did not even think of a non-compete but no raid is a good tool to keep people from stealing your employees and clients.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow. That is pretty expensive. I am finding out that the cost of doing business is pretty high.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2012, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbh0724 View Post
Wow. That is pretty expensive. I am finding out that the cost of doing business is pretty high.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am not suggesting everyone run out and hire a lawyer but at the time it was worth it to me. You may just search your workforce commision and see if they have some guidance on a hand book. I think the SBA also has some good basics.

It is important that you have these in place when you hire people for several reasons. I do not suggest you try a non-compete but a no raid. Your employees talk to your clients a lot.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
There are really several "books" you need to develop. The Employee Handbook that outlines the employee employer relationship. When is pay day, who pays for uniforms, what are the benefits, what gets you fired, what is the chain of command etc.

Then you need an Operations Manual and you will probably want a different one for each position. What is the system for operating a 21" mower, a walk behind, or a stand on. How do you line trim what is the proper method, steps etc.

Here is the table of contents for my employee handbook

Table of contents
1. Our systems
2. Compliance
3. Privacy
4. Employment issues
5. Benefits
6. Career development

Then for operations the laborer or gnome position it looks like this.

General Systems

• Gardeners “Rules to Live By”

• Completing Time Sheets

• Truck Etiquette

• Communication Etiquette

Gnome Systems

• Luminescent Lighting

• Perfect Cut Every time

• Magical Mulch Cover

• Weed & Trash Free

• Stupendous Flowers

• Effective Cleaning Methods

• Equipment Safety

• Loading and Unloading Debris

• Proper Pot Watering

Its a long road and if your not going to train, and demand the rules/systems are followed don't bother. It is a lot of work and its never done. The system you have for loading and unloading debris changes based on what type of truck or trailer your dumping into, just as an example.

When you change the way you do things you need to change the books. For an already busy guy its just one more thing. Not trying to discourage you I'm just saying there is a reason most guys don't go beyond the crew that they work with. Its a hell of a lot of work.

Have any of these in Spanish... even then I am not sure they can read spanish?