View Poll Results: Mowing on easter?
Yes 14 13.86%
No 87 86.14%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2012, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
I have told my customers that I do not work on Holidays and Sundays, they not only have no problem with my decision I suspect they in turn have more respect for my services rendered and regards for their neighbors as well. I would never have any customer dictate to me how I was to work much less have 10 customers contact me to make sure I was going to mow their lawn, regardless how far behind I was. Nice to know I work for myself and that my customers will never have me as well trained as some I have read about.
easy-lift guy
the way I see it, I work for them.

they are the one hiring me and writing a check to me.

it's not really them dictating when I work. most clients know I work any day of the week if I'm behind. that includes Sundays and holidays. it's more of them checking to make sure I'm coming since it is Easter and some do take it off.

I'm gonna assume my clients feel the same way I do towards there neighbors and aren't concerned what they think. I have to make a living. I don't live in some small town where everything shuts down. people still work. lots of home owners can be seen doing there own yard work. almost nothing shuts down due to Easter. shopping centers and restaurants are still open.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No working for me today, commercial lots are always done on weekends but this is an exception. Will catch back up on them tomorrow.
Bobcat 763

8x30 Tandem
6x12 Single

Snapper WB Z-Turn 48" (Trac-Vac)
36" WB John Deere Z-Turn (Pro-Vac)

21 year old

Youtube: www.youtube.com/BOSSLAWN2343
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Derrel...5569495?ref=hl
Old 04-08-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't understand people. I worked today, but out of respect I didn't run any equipment, I did some bed edging and cultivating and even used a broom so I wouldn't disturb people who do take it as a religious holiday.

But I am not religious so its just another day to me. I guess the one house was having some family over and one guy shows up and said " Jesus isn't going to be happy with you" I didn't really say anything I was pretty shocked actually, I mean for one he was holding a Tims coffee....what about those people working?!? did he get mad at them for serving his coffee....doubt it. And judging by the plates on his truck we probably had to drive 2 hours to get here so is he going to say some snarky comment to the gas attendant who fills up his car?

Yes I could have waited till next week to service the property but it was a beautiful day, I spend Good Friday with my family and I wasn't about to waste a lovely day sitting in front of the tv or my computer.

Rant over.... I guess to answer your poll...No cutting today. haha
Old 04-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Sponsor

[QUOTE=yardguy28;4375545]the way I see it, I work for them.

it's not really them dictating when I work. most clients know I work any day of the week if I'm behind. that includes Sundays and holidays. it's more of them checking to make sure I'm

coming since it is Easter and some do take it off.

I'm gonna assume my clients feel the same way I do towards there neighbors and aren't concerned what they think. I have to make a living. I don't live in some small town where everything shuts down. people still work. lots of home owners can be seen doing there own yard work. almost nothing shuts down due to Easter.
shopping centers and restaurants are still open.
You may not believe this but IMHO you are under the control of your customers more than you know. Speaking for myself, if I had 10 of my customers calling me about weather I was going to be mowing their lawns in time for the weekend I would have to seriously review my workload
or find some additional way to secure PT help to avoid this issue from ever happening again.
I hope you will be able to find some time to rest and reflect upon the advise given, otherwise the burnout time for this line of work may be approaching faster than you know.
Take care of yourself.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't mind Yardguy, EVERY TIME a major holiday rolls around he will make a point to comment on the inevitable "Are you working on _________?" thread and let us know he is out working...

Not coming at you Yardguy, just stating the facts
Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

[QUOTE=easy-lift guy;4375678]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
the way I see it, I work for them.

it's not really them dictating when I work. most clients know I work any day of the week if I'm behind. that includes Sundays and holidays. it's more of them checking to make sure I'm

coming since it is Easter and some do take it off.

I'm gonna assume my clients feel the same way I do towards there neighbors and aren't concerned what they think. I have to make a living. I don't live in some small town where everything shuts down. people still work. lots of home owners can be seen doing there own yard work. almost nothing shuts down due to Easter.
shopping centers and restaurants are still open.
You may not believe this but IMHO you are under the control of your customers more than you know. Speaking for myself, if I had 10 of my customers calling me about weather I was going to be mowing their lawns in time for the weekend I would have to seriously review my workload
or find some additional way to secure PT help to avoid this issue from ever happening again.
I hope you will be able to find some time to rest and reflect upon the advise given, otherwise the burnout time for this line of work may be approaching faster than you know.
Take care of yourself.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device
it's not really advise when I'm happy with the way things going with the relationship I have with my clients.

I didn't get into business to have the attitude I work for myself. and I don't necessarly run my business that way. I run it based off of what the clients want and demand. that's the way I choose.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I find at times my business runs me and at other times I run my business. Keeping control over weekends, holidays and such is off limits and mine alone.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Anything on Sunday will wait till Monday. On Easter, I do nothing from sun down Good Friday until Monday.
That how I feel too.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mowing on Easter are your kidding that's a good way to get yourself fired. That said I and my partner let the guys have the day off and we did a spring clean up on a machine shop. They seem to work 2-3 shifts 7 days a week and the only time they aren't open are holidays. And there is no way to deal with a 1000 pounds of sand with 50 plus cars in the lot so we picked their day off the only one they have. Did I enjoy it nope but 500 dollars is always welcome and kept a client with 3 major properties happy.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Anything on Sunday will wait till Monday.
Yeah, I'm the same way unless it's winter than it's gotta be done.