Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-08-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutman2000 View Post
I have customers that I cut bi-weekly. Their lawns look terrible right now(early Spring growth). They're actually needing a weekly cut, but only paying for bi-weekly. I feel this is a bad reflection on my company when I see this and they have another week before I cut them again. I keep the blade set around 2.5-3". I don't want to lower the blade lower than that. In a weeks time they have 12-18" weeds popping up. What would you do?
I have several accounts that are bi-weekly and I keep the blade set at 3.25",use G6 blades, double cut the hi end residential accounts and charge more . If you can talk'em into going every 10 days till spring growth slows,that would help the appearance of the lawn and reduce mowing time.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

almost all of my accounts are bi-weekly. i have 3 weekly accounts. weekly is rare here. people just don't spend that much money on their lawns unless they are in really upscale neighborhoods. i always charge more for bi-weekly though. an example is i will do a yard weekly for $40 and bi-weekly for $45-$50. the bi-weekly cuts don't take that much longer to be honest. maybe just a little. it often feels weird cutting weekly yards because the grass is still so short.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
All of my customers know I cut on a as needed basis. In the spring I'm at them in 5-6 days and in the heat of the summer, maybe 2-3 weeks, some longer. Nothing should dictate when grass should be cut other then how fast or slow it grows.
well I'm glad that works for you.

but I'm sticking to my weekly schedule. nothing sooner and nothing longer unless a drought occurs. and it's not all that flexible at that.

in the spring it's weekly at the most. in the summer if it doesn't need cut one week you not gonna see me until the following week at the sooniest. none of this 10 day or 4 day bull sheot.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
well I'm glad that works for you.

but I'm sticking to my weekly schedule. nothing sooner and nothing longer unless a drought occurs. and it's not all that flexible at that.

in the spring it's weekly at the most. in the summer if it doesn't need cut one week you not gonna see me until the following week at the sooniest. none of this 10 day or 4 day bull sheot.
I tried a 10 day schedule with one client last season.
He didn't want to pay for weekly service, but the lawn was such that waiting 2 weeks was not possible, so I offered to try a 10-day schedule.

What a nightmare. Everyone else was simple - same day of the week whether weekly or biweekly , but this one ended up on a different day all the time which meant that I had to squeeze him in on a heavily scheduled day on occasion. Then when it rained, I could end up being right back at 14 days.

Never again.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I tried a 10 day schedule with one client last season.
He didn't want to pay for weekly service, but the lawn was such that waiting 2 weeks was not possible, so I offered to try a 10-day schedule.

What a nightmare. Everyone else was simple - same day of the week whether weekly or biweekly , but this one ended up on a different day all the time which meant that I had to squeeze him in on a heavily scheduled day on occasion. Then when it rained, I could end up being right back at 14 days.

Never again.
I agree, it's weekly or biweekly.

I might change my mind if I were to use some software that allows this type of scheduling. Anyone know of one that includes route optimization.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I agree, it's weekly or biweekly.

I might change my mind if I were to use some software that allows this type of scheduling. Anyone know of one that includes route optimization.

Software can not control the weather. You can be as optimized as you want, but when it rains hard for several days, that 10 day schedule is ALL screwed up.
I'm sure there are people who do it. I won't.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Software can not control the weather. You can be as optimized as you want, but when it rains hard for several days, that 10 day schedule is ALL screwed up.
I'm sure there are people who do it. I won't.
Which is part of the reason I do not mind the bi-weekly because they are the first cut to be postponed. If can see a 10 day schedule being useful.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

the only way I see every 10 or every 4 days in an optimized route is if everyone did it. but when you have just a few out of everyone else it's not worth it.

it's either weekly or bi weekly. if you don't want weekly you get bi weekly and pay the added price. there is no 10 day to keep the price down.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My customers pay me a monthly rate and I cut when I think it needs to be cut. Mostly it's weekly, sometimes it's bi-weekly (when it's hot and dry). They actually prefer paying monthly rather than per visit. It's easier for both of us to keep track of.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For me it depends on the type of lawn. Here we have 3 predominant types. Centipede lawns I will allow to go every 2 weeks if they'd prefer. I insist upon a weekly cut on Bahia and Bermuda. If they won't do weekly then I let the job go.

I won't take a lawn if I don't think I'm going to enjoy cutting it. I have to want to do it to get a good result every time.

Tags
bi-weekly , lowering blades