Register free!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmill26 View Post
I'm about $2 a minute I dont have to really give estimates up front as most have been lawn customers for years. In the end I dont see it mattering what size lawn/equipment as long as you can get the amount you want and its a fair price. I use a split tine classen 25?" and majority of my lawns are smaller.
Equipment matters to the extent that it determines whether you are doing a quality job or just making crop circles in your customers yards. Price does matter and everyone sets their but but if someone is aerating just to make some money and not as some part of a comprehensive lawn maintenance program, then the customer is just wasting their money.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I would charge $55min to pull it off the trailer. And then I just charge my hourly rate for how ever long it takes me. I dont bill hourly just figure my quotes that way.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let me just tell you how f#$king stupid most homeowners are here in Montana. I've been advertising in the papers and passing door hangers for weeks advertising aerating starting $40. The phone is dead silent. The rental shop rents 20 year old aerators with tines that have been worn out for more than 5 years for $36 for 2 hours and it has to braught back full of gas. They have homeowners waiting in the parking lot for one to get back they are so busy with them. Why are people so stupid. Drive a couple miles to the rental store, stand in the parking lot waiting for an hour for a wore out machine, you and a rental employee lift it into your pickup with no ramp. Then you get home and have to bug neighbors to help unload it and reload it, top it off with gas, and drive it back the rental store. Considering they could hire me for less and sit on their deck and watch while drinking beer these people are beyond stupid.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Whipple, maybe you should advertise in those parking lots.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 04-26-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I charge about 3x the cost to mow a property. This seems to work out well. I have a lesco 3pt unit 42" mounted on a kubota b series tractor.
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Okay just a little bit of a vent here. A few years ago I saw this competitor advertise in the paper for $29.95 aeration. I forgot the square footage probably 3-5k with a loss leader of weed and fert. Now one of my PITA lawn clients [about 2 clicks from getting dropped told me this guy aerates her neighbors lawn for $35. I aerated my clients lawn for $65-68 last Fall with my Plugr 850 with noticeably more plugs than her neighbor who had his done for $35.

Okay due to low baller market forces here my super small lawn rate with my lawn solutions machine is $35. Basically a min stop fee I donít really base on square footage, front yard or tiny small area only.

Plugr 850 with 50%-130% more plugs in a single pass $45 min stop fee for a tiny lawn. Typical is $55-$75 smaller residential. Once the price goes over $70 people resist.

I do know for a fact that becoming a licensed applicator will help me stay in business. Then again I see the prices on beat down weed and feed liquid aps in my area and then I wonder....?
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Okay just a little bit of a vent here. A few years ago I saw this competitor advertise in the paper for $29.95 aeration. I forgot the square footage probably 3-5k with a loss leader of weed and fert. Now one of my PITA lawn clients [about 2 clicks from getting dropped told me this guy aerates her neighbors lawn for $35. I aerated my clients lawn for $65-68 last Fall with my Plugr 850 with noticeably more plugs than her neighbor who had his done for $35.

Okay due to low baller market forces here my super small lawn rate with my lawn solutions machine is $35. Basically a min stop fee I donít really base on square footage, front yard or tiny small area only.

Plugr 850 with 50%-130% more plugs in a single pass $45 min stop fee for a tiny lawn. Typical is $55-$75 smaller residential. Once the price goes over $70 people resist.

I do know for a fact that becoming a licensed applicator will help me stay in business. Then again I see the prices on beat down weed and feed liquid aps in my area and then I wonder....?
He is charging $239 for 5 apps and one aeration. Seems on the low side but who knows what is in his tank.

I think the big guys charge for 9 apps and give away the aeration. I see ad's saying 19 or 29 but I am sure that is just a basic fert. Plus they do get contracts with automatic debits.

Change your marketing some and focus on the extra plugs. Competition will always exist.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I check in here on occasion and find it interesting. To be honest as a business person you get the most you possibly can for any said service or product. Soooooo If you can only get 40 for 10 acres that is the going price or if you can get 100 for 5k that is the going price.

Aeration is a niche market. Either you jump in head first or you just tread water with a few you get.

Here we have some pretty heavy competition with a large national company, won't say their name (true something), but we are forced to keep competitive with them. Their normal charge is around 109 this year for aeration, however if they are putting out fliers they will be down in the 40's on some properties.
We basically start out at 35 for 2000sqft and add 5 per additional k. We also up sell double aeration at 1.5x the cost of single, lime, overseed, and other services I won't mention.
I ordered the Lawn solutions machine last year and am getting ready to buy another exmark this year. I have put well over 500 hours on the LS machine we bought last spring. I can tell you I would never buy another machine for the small residential lawns we have here. Maybe turfco but would have to try one out. Aeration is well over half of our gross for the year and we push it hard. Like I said before it is a head first or tread water niche.
I do wish I could get the 50-100 dollar aeration but most average 40-45. It really doesn't matter as I make twice or more than just mowing with aeration added.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
He is charging $239 for 5 apps and one aeration. Seems on the low side but who knows what is in his tank.

I think the big guys charge for 9 apps and give away the aeration. I see ad's saying 19 or 29 but I am sure that is just a basic fert. Plus they do get contracts with automatic debits.

Change your marketing some and focus on the extra plugs. Competition will always exist.
Here I got under bid on Lawn treatments on lawn He plug for free I do the house next door and there To do the 2 step weed/feed
The ppl next door came over as I was done ask me look at there lawn Told me the guy weed/feed there lawn week ago
So I look it was dark green with lots weeds in it
I ask how He put down with a spreader dry w/f I ask he do it when it was wet They said no All I could do LOL I ask how much he charged them It was same price as one bag of w/f And lawn was 20k I told them to watch next time see how much he puts on I left went down street do another lawn and the ppl came down ask me come back spray there lawn Said ok Sign my Contact
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Here I got under bid on Lawn treatments on lawn He plug for free I do the house next door and there To do the 2 step weed/feed
The ppl next door came over as I was done ask me look at there lawn Told me the guy weed/feed there lawn week ago
So I look it was dark green with lots weeds in it
I ask how He put down with a spreader dry w/f I ask he do it when it was wet They said no All I could do LOL I ask how much he charged them It was same price as one bag of w/f And lawn was 20k I told them to watch next time see how much he puts on I left went down street do another lawn and the ppl came down ask me come back spray there lawn Said ok Sign my Contact
You gotta love it. Bad enough when homeowners see weeds grow after W/F because they can not follow instructions