Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2012, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck to you. Sounds like you're not prepared to open a business yet or at least take on commercial accounts.
As for picking up trash? Did you ASK the own if that's what he wants done each visit? Did you go over everything with him while you were there? Only YOU can put your numbers together for what the customer wants done. Nobody can give you a price. For one, none of us are there to see and talk to the owner to see what exactly they want done. A hint, time is money.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I'm not into commercial that much, the bulk of my properties are residential. The one thing you need to realize about commercial properties is, for the most part, there is no loyalty, it is strictly business unless you have some kind of relationship with the owner/manager, which means they will go with the lowest bid, and, more than likely, ask for bids again next year, in which case, if someone bids $5 less than you, they will get the job.

I'm not trying to discourage you from bidding, just be aware that the owner probably is looking for the absolute cheapest job. From my limited experience, at least in this area, unless it is high-end commercial (professional offices, healthcare facilities, banks, etc) the going rates are actually less than comparable residential properties. This makes no sense, until you remember that probably every mower guy that pulls into those stations to fuel, has asked about the possibility of mowing. Few residentials ever have anyone actually knock on the door and ask for their business. Good luck.
Not all-ways true. I mow a lot of commercial properties, my newest I picked up and bid more than what the guy was mowing it for last year.
I think a lot of it is how you sell your self and your business.