Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



View Poll Results: Mowing on easter?
Yes 14 13.86%
No 87 86.14%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 AM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxify View Post
Our various Faiths aside for a moment:

The part time job is that which pays for the full time
responsibility of your family.

Think I'm wrong? Don't ask your wife. She's liable to tell you
a whole lot more than you care to hear.

Now back to my Faith. Cutting or not is not going to change my Salvation
status. That's legalism or working your way to Salvation.
That being said, if my or my neighbor/friend's "Ox is in the Ditch"...
I'm there!!

Making my living on Sunday? When I "had to" (Retired Fla. Law Enf. Off.)

work on Sunday. It's just another day at the office.


Ask your wife how "She" feels about working on Easter Sunday.
It's her gift to her family. It's how she was "Made".
Point taken, it seems that some that have replied to this thread have a all or nothing attitude towards work. Between Holidays, considering neighbors where they maintain their customers. It is a pity that some can become so self absorbed with work and only that. Happy to read that most are considerate of others and are willing to accept, respect other religious Holidays and or other dates of rememberance. Btw, Thankyou for your service.
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Point taken, it seems that some that have replied to this thread have a all or nothing attitude towards work. Between Holidays, considering neighbors where they maintain their customers. It is a pity that some can become so self absorbed with work and only that. Happy to read that most are considerate of others and are willing to accept, respect other religious Holidays and or other dates of rememberance. Btw, Thankyou for your service.
easy-lift guy
I don't see it as a nice of disrespect if I want to work at my clients property and there neighbor happens to be catholic.

respect is a two way street. you say those that work on the holiday don't have respect for those wanting to celebrate it. well I say those that don't work have no respect for those that want or need to work on the holiday.

who gives those that celebrate the holidays by taking a day off from work the right to mandate that all people take the day off from work so no infringes on there holiday rights? everyone has rights. rights to work on the holiday or rights to take the holiday off from work.

this arguement goes 100% both ways.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-12-2012, 12:11 PM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I don't see it as a nice of disrespect if I want to work at my clients property and there neighbor happens to be catholic.

respect is a two way street. you say those that work on the holiday don't have respect for those wanting to celebrate it. well I say those that don't work have no respect for those that want or need to work on the holiday.
who gives those that celebrate the holidays by taking a day off from work the right to mandate that all people take the day off from work so no infringes on there holiday rights? everyone has rights. rights to work on the holiday or rights to take the holiday off from work.

this arguement goes 100% both ways.
FYI, your decision to work all the time is yours to be made. Your customers must like or don't mind if you work all the time, sounds like a working relationship. Please keep working if that makes you and your customers happy. I will remain happy taking my Holidays off and so will my customers.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
FYI, your decision to work all the time is yours to be made. Your customers must like or don't mind if you work all the time, sounds like a working relationship. Please keep working if that makes you and your customers happy. I will remain happy taking my Holidays off and so will my customers.
easy-lift guy
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't expect otherwise out of anyone's mouth on this thread.

too many though put up comments about it being disrespectful to work on the holidays.

clearly my clients don't mind it or they wouldnt remain my clients and I wouldn't be working on the holidays.

your comments are what I have been saying all along so I don't why your coping and attitude with me.

I will remain happy happy working the holidays and so will my clients.
yardguy
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,823
This thread has been forwarded to the "who's working Memorial Day" poll.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 PM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
This thread has been forwarded to the "who's working Memorial Day" poll.
it's too early to be thinking about that day but here's my answer any way

if it falls on a mon thru fri or I'm behind and need the weekend to catch up I will be working.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 PM
easy-lift guy's Avatar
easy-lift guy easy-lift guy is online now
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Venice, FL. USA
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I wouldn't expect otherwise out of anyone's mouth on this thread.

too many though put up comments about it being disrespectful to work on the holidays.

clearly my clients don't mind it or they wouldnt remain my clients and I wouldn't be working on the holidays.

your comments are what I have been saying all along so I don't why your coping and attitude with me.

I will remain happy happy working the holidays and so will my clients.
yardguy
Please stay happy for your sake as well as your customers sake. I am
convinced you would have it no other way. Your imagination has you believing
I am coping an attitude with you
easy-lift guy
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-13-2012, 05:48 PM
lazor-cut lazor-cut is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Wixom
Posts: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by landscaper22 View Post
I really agree with Mr. G. Don't get me wrong...To each his own. But, all this about basically letting customers run your business is nonsense. If that is the case, then I would sit home half the time with nothing to do. Many want to wait until the grass it two weeks past needing cut in Spring to call, then they want it cut yesterday. They want you to skip when there is a drought, but don't want you any sooner when you have lots or rain and end up double cutting. Good luck getting double pay. Or they think it's too wet, or too this, or too that. Then you my friends end up driving all over town and back wasting gas to try to make these people happy.
It's my business, and I run it. Not my customers...........................................
.
I know this doesnt have to deal with the original topic but, here is how i deal with my residential skippers, I tell them sure i will skip your house due to lack of growth in your lawn. But im still charging you $XX for the cut that we didnt do!

yeah i lost a few customers because of it but i dont care! I lost a few headaches! We have plenty of Commercial stuff on our plate so theres nothing to worry about!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:01 PM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
it's no wonder I stay in business and thrive with people like this charging for a cut not performed.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
I like residential lawns because of the extra work.

In commercial, it is a lump sum contract for all services right down to if the plant dies. Or somewhere in between but they pay 12 months.

Residentials are between 9 months to 6 months but we get paid extra for fert and squirt, mulch, flowers, shrubs and such. Both have plus and minus.

A good residential will pay more per SF than a commercial but not bring in enough to pay the bills. If I ran without Comp and 2 million in GL then Residentals would be better. Most want to pay with CC which takes another bite.

I am not sure if blending the two is a good idea or not but the Residentials fill in the gaps, cover expenses and keeps the guys happy.

Now why are we talking about working on Holidays and Weekends again? My workers like to have family time and Holidays. I pay them Holiday too.

If you guys want to work it then so be it. I know of no legit company that works Holidays and Weekends and if they do they pay holiday pay and overtime.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.10046 seconds with 10 queries