Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Annual bluegrass problem

Is there any one specific product that kills annual bleugrass without killing anything else around it, and if so, where is a good place to buy it? I've been looking, but had no luck as of yet.

For some reason that I can't explain, my own personal property is being overrun with this crap this year, and it's still early yet, so I already know it'll get much worse. I have always maintained my lawn very well with routine fert apps, and regular irrigation. I mow at 3-3.25". I have had a spot or two here and there previously that (I assume) came from my neighbor mowing their yard and blowing some of the clippings though the fence, and it spread from there. I have always killed it of with RU, then re-seeded, but this year is out of control wild. I have it popping up everywhere.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It can be a pain here too. Our seed heads come out now and then a second flush mid September. We can't use herbicides here. All we can do is bag while the Poa annua goes to seed.

Last edited by Dr.NewEarth; 04-11-2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Go CANUCKS GO. WE NEED DANIEL SEDIN.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, we have the same set of flushes you do. Do you have any info for a AB killer of any type, even if you can't use one there?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This country banned alot of pesticides a few years ago. Most cities around here have had bylaws preventing us from using any-thing. Also, alot of things you could find in the U.S. were never allowed up here.

So, I know of nothing that will help with the problem other than glyphosates or digging up the areas and of course bagging when the seed heads come up.

We can still find glyphosates, 2,4-D, mecoprop, dicamba and a few other products if we look, because there is no outright provincial or federal ban on these as of yet. But if we get caught using them in a city with a bylaw banning pesticide use, we get a hefty fine.

My demographic is HOA and they don't want to pay any-thing extra to have a perfect lawn. So, we've always just bagged to try to help the situation.

The big developments buy up the turf that is infested with Poa annua because it is cheaper. We also see alot of cheap turf on city boulevards too.

When we do a turf install, I try to convince the client to go with the more expensive annual blue grass free turf.

When I worked on the golfcourse, the greens were Poa annua A4, which is a specialty mix just for greens.

GO CANUCKS GO
Old 04-12-2012, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All my turf books say to try to mow tall, and bag off the clippings/seed heads, but the crap in my yard never seems to get taller than 2" and I cut at 3-3.25", so I never seem to be able to bag the seeds like I'd like. Another problem is the stupid birds around here seem to love the seeds when they come out, and they tend to spread them around the property either by spilling them from their beaks, or via their crap.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone else have any info?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you using any per-emergence control on your lawn?

I'm thinking a good professional product might need to be considered to keep it from re-germinating. I use barricade and dimension and the Barricade I know for sure is labeled to handle Annual Bluegrass.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7464.html

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Thanks, that's a great link. I have seen it before, but never got the chance to read all of it. I see from reading it, that I have both perrenial and annual types, and the perrenial isn't readily controlled if at all according to the link.

I hate that, because I really don't want to have to till under almost an acre of really decent turf just to make sure this crap doesn't take over the entire lawn. A couple years back I spot treated with RU, but it's worse now than then, and that isn't going to work anymore.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have gone to split apps of Pre-Em to keep down crab grass and Poa.

Down here the Poa will burn up in the summer but return in the fall where Crab Grass will Germinate for 8 months. I know your lawns are different.