View Poll Results: Mowing on easter?
Yes 14 13.86%
No 87 86.14%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I like residential lawns because of the extra work.

In commercial, it is a lump sum contract for all services right down to if the plant dies. Or somewhere in between but they pay 12 months.

Residentials are between 9 months to 6 months but we get paid extra for fert and squirt, mulch, flowers, shrubs and such. Both have plus and minus.

A good residential will pay more per SF than a commercial but not bring in enough to pay the bills. If I ran without Comp and 2 million in GL then Residentals would be better. Most want to pay with CC which takes another bite.

I am not sure if blending the two is a good idea or not but the Residentials fill in the gaps, cover expenses and keeps the guys happy.

Now why are we talking about working on Holidays and Weekends again? My workers like to have family time and Holidays. I pay them Holiday too.

If you guys want to work it then so be it. I know of no legit company that works Holidays and Weekends and if they do they pay holiday pay and overtime.

thats the difference between a business and a job.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
thats the difference between a business and a job.
You summed it up better than I did.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I suppose the guys that answered yes are also out doing fall cleanups on thanksgiving
Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachy View Post
I suppose the guys that answered yes are also out doing fall cleanups on thanksgiving
lol i wasnt! But i was also sittin on my @$$ on easter!

PM For DETAILS!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I like residential lawns because of the extra work.

In commercial, it is a lump sum contract for all services right down to if the plant dies. Or somewhere in between but they pay 12 months.

Residentials are between 9 months to 6 months but we get paid extra for fert and squirt, mulch, flowers, shrubs and such. Both have plus and minus.

A good residential will pay more per SF than a commercial but not bring in enough to pay the bills. If I ran without Comp and 2 million in GL then Residentals would be better. Most want to pay with CC which takes another bite.

I am not sure if blending the two is a good idea or not but the Residentials fill in the gaps, cover expenses and keeps the guys happy.

Now why are we talking about working on Holidays and Weekends again? My workers like to have family time and Holidays. I pay them Holiday too.

If you guys want to work it then so be it. I know of no legit company that works Holidays and Weekends and if they do they pay holiday pay and overtime.
let's see legit company's like target, walgreens are open a lot of holidays.

being legit has NOTHING to do with it. this attitude that the entire country should shut down on holidays and weekends is ridiculous.

maybe in your neck of the woods LCO's don't work holidays and weekends but it's common practice for most to put in 6 days a week on a regular basis in my neck of the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachy View Post
I do if I need to and have clients who don't mind me being on there property. there's always some who leave town and since they aren't home, they don't care if I'm there.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
let's see legit company's like target, walgreens are open a lot of holidays.

being legit has NOTHING to do with it. this attitude that the entire country should shut down on holidays and weekends is ridiculous.

maybe in your neck of the woods LCO's don't work holidays and weekends but it's common practice for most to put in 6 days a week on a regular basis in my neck of the woods.

I do if I need to and have clients who don't mind me being on there property. there's always some who leave town and since they aren't home, they don't care if I'm there.
Point well taken but I doubt one employee that is there likes it.
Particularly on Holidays
Go ahead and work weekends and holidays.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

it takes all kinds to make the world go around.

sure there are some who work holidays or weekends that don't like but you have a whole slew of people, like myself, who don't mind it for one reason or another.

no everyone has family and not everyone gets together with friends or family on the holidays. those are the ones who work so some of the ones that do have get togethers can be off.

that is what I try to convey in here with every "who's working this holiday" thread. there are no laws, no rules about working the holiday. those that take it off seem to get so worked up over those that are working it and think EVERYONE should take it off.

do what works best for you in your situation is what I say. I personally don't celebrate most holidays. they are just another day for me which is why if I need to work and can get the ok from the clients I wanna do the work at, I will. otherwise I'd just be sitting around the house in front of the tv or something.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mowing on weekends in residential areas disturbs the peace IMHO. The worst is the guy doing his own lawn and it takes him all day. You know he does not enjoy it because he waited 3 weeks to do it.

I understand retail stores being open on Saturdays so people that work 5 days a week like most Legit Business might need to buy something.

I just do not see landscape as something essential that needs to run outside of conventional business hours. Having said that, I would rather run out and meet a homeowner on a Saturday than 6:00PM on a weekday.

I take no offense to someone working sundays and holidays. I just do not support those activities.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

as a business owner trying to put food on my table. I'm not concerned about disturbing the peace. I will the law as far as noise ordinance goes buts that it.

I always check ahead of time with the clients I plan on working on the holiday. if they don't want me there I won't show up. but that hasn't happened very often. most seem to go away for the holiday and since they aren't home, they don't care. I could care less what the neighbors think.

does that mean if you know a neighbor works third shift and is sleeping when you come you would change the time you come? doubtful. same principal to me.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
as a business owner trying to put food on my table. I'm not concerned about disturbing the peace. I will the law as far as noise ordinance goes buts that it.

I always check ahead of time with the clients I plan on working on the holiday. if they don't want me there I won't show up. but that hasn't happened very often. most seem to go away for the holiday and since they aren't home, they don't care. I could care less what the neighbors think.

does that mean if you know a neighbor works third shift and is sleeping when you come you would change the time you come? doubtful. same principal to me.
Let me guess, You just got home from working and just now responded.
Most people in a neighborhood are home on the weekend and you know it.
Some companies run on saturday and I know it. Big deal.

People come home and see the lawn is over grown and they just got paid but do not want to do the lawn this week so they call me. Guess what, big deal.

You seem bent on telling me you do not care, I do not care you do not care. I do not work weekends unless I think I want to meet with a client but I rarely actually do any work. That is me. You made your point clear too.

Sooner or later you have to set boundries.