Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2012, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
GMLC will you be side discharging or bagging first thing?

Other than maybe the main idler and front wheel bearings, the lack of grease zirks do not bother me if it was done correctly. Coming from the automotive industry I've seen first hand that it can be done and can last. The problem is thought is not always put into making things last. I'm considering Husqvarna PZ as well and Q on here seemed to very honest about needs. He told me to keep deck bushings on hand as they go through them. This is an example of a poorly thought out system. I don't mind replacing worn items at the 2000-3000 mark and up, but earlier than that and I don't consider it a commercial grade unit .

If I didn't already ask, how many hrs. do you have on your units watsmi57?

What are the concerns on the hydro gear trans? Wasn't aware of any problems yet. Seems like quite a few companies are going that direction. It would be nice to see a cooling system incorporated into it. Pushing 13 mph may be over working the system, similar to the earlier Hustler SZs.
I'm going to side discharge at first to get a good feel for the deck before I start bagging. I was nervous about the hydro-gear transmissions as Ridin' Green said they are just so new. Gravely told me they have run the 5400's for 4 years now with almost no warranty claims so I'm comfortable with that. They do have cooling fans on each unit. Same with the lack of grease fittings, almost no warranty claims on spindles or other non-greasable parts so I'm ok with that as well.

I hope to bring her home today! Then I'm going on a mission to find some grass to cut early!!!!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GMLC-
I have a 1990 JD garden tractor that has been used regularly from the start, and it does not have greasable spindles on the mower deck on it. It is still solid and strong, and cuts awesome still (not to mention stripes great too). If made well, I would have no worries about that.

I have to say, I hope that deck chute proves my fears unfounded, because a new Gravely may very well be the next machine I buy down the road if so.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well Ive tried gravely and I dont think they are for me. Gravely is a very solid machine built very well but its no exmark sorry guys just my personal opinion.
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER
Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABBERS View Post
Well Ive tried gravely and I dont think they are for me. Gravely is a very solid machine built very well but its no exmark sorry guys just my personal opinion.
I like exmark as well, one of the best mowers in my opinion. They have a very nice cut in dry conditions but in wet northern grass they clump bad.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by GMLC; 04-13-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I like exmark as well. They have a very nice cut in dry conditions but in wet northern grass they clump bad.Posted via Mobile Device
Darn straight! If I was given an Exmark, I'd sell it and buy something else (probably a Garvely since I already have a new Deere). They are just not for me, and I think they ruined their looks with the next gen. Now they look cheap.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The x-factor deck doesn't shoot grass out like my old exmark does, I just tried them out side by side. Maybe there is better blades not really sure.
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
The x-factor deck doesn't shoot grass out like my old exmark does, I just tried them out side by side. Maybe there is better blades not really sure.
A lot of guys like their old exmark decks over the new ones. I will post an extensive review of the x-factor deck in wet grass once I start cutting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
That's my fear about the X factor deck, but the deck isn't baffled as heavily underneath as the Ultracut, so it should be at least a touch better. My biggest complaint about Exmark is their fine cut dry, but it goes out the window with any moisture heavier than light dew. Almost everyone here runs them, so I get to see lots of their cuts on a ton of different turf. They all clump when it's wet. I simply will not have that on my lawns. I need an even dispersal, and the 7 Irons do that extremely well, and their cut will match the UC in dry conditions. I cut right next to several of them and we get to compare all summer long.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

7-iron that john deer right? How do they compare price wised to exmark?
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here, you can get a JD for less money comparing an equal level of machine. Exmark is really going through the roof here this year. Even the salesmen I talk to at the local EM dealership where I buy a lot of stuff are saying so. They have a lot of nice features, but I just can't get on board with the UC in the wet, and the way the next gen looks.