Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-01-2012, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
yeah, i guess i get 11 hand calculated around town, a lot of stopping...11 is pretty bad but better than 8 i guess...be careful though, the new diesels have the emissions on them with the DPF filters, as i'm guessing you know...i'm planning on taking mine off but i still have a year of warranty left...the older dodges with the 5.9 cummins up to about '06 or '07 can get up around 16-18 in the city, 22 or so on the highway...i dont know what i would do if i had to do it over again, buy an older truck pre-emissions or buy what i have now, '08 powerstroke, and just take the emissions off...
I'm definitely not buying a new diesel...early 2000's Duramax is what I'm looking for. I'd like to do some work to it, but not too much.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
I'm definitely not buying a new diesel...early 2000's Duramax is what I'm looking for. I'd like to do some work to it, but not too much.
when i was looking at chevy's i was looking at the LBZ...that engine seemed to get the best feedback
Old 04-14-2012, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Member

The costs come down to vehicle manufacturing and government. The government has more control then ever. And now with a vested interest in manufacturing costs and sales. Gas vehicles offer a higher profitability range then diesel.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know about you guys but I have both ( F350 7.3 and F250 5.4), and when loaded up with my 7x 16 HD dual axle trailer with two 52" ZTRs two back pack blowers, two trimmers, miscellaneous tools, couple cans of gas, two yards of grass clippings in the bed and myself and two others in the truck, the gas engine seems like a safety hazard pulling out onto roads.
It is ridiculous how bad it is on pulling onto 55 mph roads and then going up long hills on a 55 mph road it will drop to like 30 mph at 3900 rpms. and to top off how annoying that is, It would get 7ish mpgs. Very aggravating. and that was with both a chevy 6.0 gas that i borrowed for a week and the ford 5.4. The chevy seemed to have a tiny bit more power than the ford 5.4 but worse mileage. Ford around 8 and chevy around 7.

Now take my ford 7.3. Wow, I never want a gas engine again. Soo much more power, can actually pull out onto a road without needing a mile of room to get up to speed. and with the same exact load, I get 14.5-15 mpg. So about DOUBLE the fuel cost for the gas even with the fuel price difference.
I wont even get into the fuel savings for plowing. It is even more with a 9 v plow and 2 yards of sand. I dont even feel safe in the gas engine with all that weight

I am not trying to tell people what is best for them, BUT for my business and what I do, the diesel is much much better. and yearly costs INCLUDING all the extra maintenance people think is so bad on a diesel, I save and make up for having the deisel.. And if i go to sell them, the 7.3 holds its value way more than the gas engine
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer
Old 04-21-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

My 2006 Dodge 2500 diesel is a freight train. I've never been lacking power with the 5.9. Mileage is about 14 pulling ~9K. Yeah it is loud and generally unrefined but does the job.
The sound system sucks and the seats stain easily. The dashboard is made out of recycled McDonalds coffee cups, I think.

Other than that, it is great utility-wise.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just went through this conundrum with my needing to decide on a diesel super lawn truck or a gas. I opted for the diesel because after I did the math I'd break even (gas isuzu vs diesel mitfuso) at about 60k miles at current prices with no repairs. But this is a 8mpg gas vs a 15mpg diesel. I think in the world of pickups now the diesels might not make the decision so easy.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
of course the year i decide to buy 3 diesel trucks the price of diesel jumps up, and has not gone down since...does anyone know why diesel is more expensive? and will it ever be cheaper than gas again?

diesels don't seem to be worth it anymore...diesels today are what, $6,000 - $8,000 more, and now they have all the emissions on them killing fuel economy, then diesel fuel is more expensive
Just filled up mine the other day cost me 172 dollars at the pump but in fairness I wasn't empty my tanks a 52 gal so it can hit 200 dollars to fill it. But is it worth it well the price of diesel was 4.29 a gallon and the reg gas same station was 4.15 so at first glance the diesel seems to cost more. But the fuel economy is huge my ram 4500 weighs 9000 pounds empty add in 2-3000 pounds of grass and my 20ft trailer loaded and I am some where around 17000 pounds the gvw is 25900 so I am a heavy weight. But I get 10-12 mpg with that load on some very hilly terrain a gas truck at that weigh would be getting 5-7 mpg. So my fuel savings is approaching 50% so 2 dollars a gallon savings over gas and I am getting my money back in 3000-4000 gallons. Or about 3-5 years but the trucks last significantly longer the gas engine trucks. And the resale value on diesels is always 5000 plus more sometimes 10000.

So I do not see the issue your making yes the good old days of being more fuel efficient while at the same time spending 40 cents a gallon less are over. But even at to days prices its still beneficial to have the diesel. Plus there is a lot of talk about converting a large portion of the 18 wheeler fleets to natural gas since that's cheaper now. If that happened then the demand for diesel decreases and thus the price of us small diesel trucks will come down so says supply and demand.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
It is ridiculous how bad it is on pulling onto 55 mph roads and then going up long hills on a 55 mph road it will drop to like 30 mph at 3900 rpms.

Soo much more power, can actually pull out onto a road without needing a mile of room to get up to speed.
I took my truck up to your state last Sept to a summer camp staff reunion for the 80s don't ask.

Anyways your roads are sick you are not kidding about the speed limits up there I was on 16 and was amazed at the speed limits for a road with no center divide. Where talking 100 mph head on collisions if to cars hit at speed. But my trip went well averaged 17.1 mpg round trip from milford ct to west ossipee nh. And when you consider what I was driving that is unreal. Think I ended up getting 900 miles on that tank of diesel.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Now with my 1500 dodge pulling with my mowers that weigh 1800 a piece with a 2200lbs trailer I am lucky to get 6 mpg. I got 170 miles on a 30 gallon tank. I can only do 70 mph on the freeway with my foot to the floor. I want a diesel bad lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2012, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
I took my truck up to your state last Sept to a summer camp staff reunion for the 80s don't ask.

Anyways your roads are sick you are not kidding about the speed limits up there I was on 16 and was amazed at the speed limits for a road with no center divide. Where talking 100 mph head on collisions if to cars hit at speed. But my trip went well averaged 17.1 mpg round trip from milford ct to west ossipee nh. And when you consider what I was driving that is unreal. Think I ended up getting 900 miles on that tank of diesel.
i know the ossipee area very well, I have family there and go camping and snowmobiling quite a bit up there. I am from the concord area and we have speed limits on roads with no middle dividers that are 55mph and people go 65-70 the whole way. it is not fun pulling onto those loaded up with a gas engine lol I am actually from the concord area.
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer