Register free!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Adding sod to existing lawn

I've got a project I'm working on that an 1200 sqft are is being regraded and shaped. It's a small hill but not too steep. The existing lawn was hydroseeded. The slope will be sodded so to minimize any erosion issues. What is the best method of butting the sod to the exsisting lawn so they will appear seamless once the sod has taken off? The seed farm that supplied the seed for the hydroseed also supplies the sod farm so getting the grass to match shouldn't be impossible.

I know hydroseeding it would probably get better results overall, but it's in a front yard and I need instant results on this job. I've found sod ends tend to try to curl and I usually cut cloths hangers up and make the U shapes and pin the ends of the sod with them.

I was thinking of doing the same thing here and just topdressing the seam lightly and hand seeding the seam with the same seed mix. I'm a bit concerned with sodding with the drought we're having but I'm fortunate to have the sod farm in the town the job is in and will literally be picking it up mins after being harvested. So I should have it applied in less than an hr after harvest. I plan to stipulate that the sod needs to be copiously watered or I'm not going to warranty it. So what do you guys think? Am I failing to plan or planning to fail?

Matt
Old 04-15-2012, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Run a mini tiller along the mating line. Rake the soil back to create a small notch that butts up to your existing turf. Landscape fabric staples are cheap and save you from cutting hangers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I been using my turf teq bed edger I'll trench deeper and fill dirt back in to height i want
Sod staples are cheap think Last box I bought was 1k for under 40 bucks
Old 04-15-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've always had good luck doing what you mentioned in your original post, about topdressing the seams and over seeding them...
I start out with relatively dry loose soil for the sod to go onto... roll and soak, then let the surface dry enough to walk on... at that time I topdress and overseed the cracks and then keep it moist enough so the soil under the roots dry out...

I believe that edge curl occurs, because the sod is supersoaked so often that much of the OM is wash out of the sod itself and tends to dry quickly and uneenly after a couple hours in full sun... sod shouldn't be having as much water as people tend to put on it...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I've always had good luck doing what you mentioned in your original post, about topdressing the seams and over seeding them...
I start out with relatively dry loose soil for the sod to go onto... roll and soak, then let the surface dry enough to walk on... at that time I topdress and overseed the cracks and then keep it moist enough so the soil under the roots dry out...

I believe that edge curl occurs, because the sod is supersoaked so often that much of the OM is wash out of the sod itself and tends to dry quickly and uneenly after a couple hours in full sun... sod shouldn't be having as much water as people tend to put on it...
In my area we soak sod we keep it soak if u let it dry out it will curl and shrink
But then again I always make sure I lay sod on 2-3 '' loose soil and then lay ,soak, roll then just soak it keep it soak for 7-10 days
Old 04-15-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
In my area we soak sod we keep it soak if u let it dry out it will curl and shrink
But then again I always make sure I lay sod on 2-3 '' loose soil and then lay ,soak, roll then just soak it keep it soak for 7-10 days
It sounds like we are on the same page with this, but our definitions of "soaked" , and the amount of 'topdressing over seams', may be a little different...

What my concern about "soaking" has to do with anaerobic consitions under the sod and washing away the 'topdressing over the seams"... Ideally the sod is [ stuck in the mud from the original "Soaking", and it would take days for it to dry out... Of course the soil cover has a lot of holes in it due to seams...

That is why seams are so important, in that they ensure the covering over the soggy soil doesn't have air holes in it... like a solid sheet of plactic covering the ground vs a series of plastic bags meant to cover the ground...
Soon we will be watering too much, becuz we are watering for the seams, to keep them wet...

It is for this reason that I use a wheelbarrow of good topsoil and besure to fill in any openings in the turf... When I do an excellent job of laying the sod , that wheelbarrow will cover a lot of ground...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
It sounds like we are on the same page with this, but our definitions of "soaked" , and the amount of 'topdressing over seams', may be a little different...

What my concern about "soaking" has to do with anaerobic consitions under the sod and washing away the 'topdressing over the seams"... Ideally the sod is [ stuck in the mud from the original "Soaking", and it would take days for it to dry out... Of course the soil cover has a lot of holes in it due to seams...

That is why seams are so important, in that they ensure the covering over the soggy soil doesn't have air holes in it... like a solid sheet of plactic covering the ground vs a series of plastic bags meant to cover the ground...
Soon we will be watering too much, becuz we are watering for the seams, to keep them wet...

It is for this reason that I use a wheelbarrow of good topsoil and besure to fill in any openings in the turf... When I do an excellent job of laying the sod , that wheelbarrow will cover a lot of ground...
If the sod is installed right you dont need top soil to dress the seams
Old 04-21-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
If the sod is installed right you dont need top soil to dress the seams
Niether would it need to be "soaked" for 7 days, for fear of drying and curling...
Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You guys do sod funny.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Niether would it need to be "soaked" for 7 days, for fear of drying and curling...
maybe not in Wis but around here If sod doesnt stay wet till it takes root well it will burn up I been doing this way for 30 yrs so it must work I never had dress a seam all yrs laying sod
If you have dress the seam you are laying sod wrong period
My way might be the slow way but its the right way
Sample 4 man crew 2 packers 2 layers
The layers are on there hands and knees stiching the seams together making sure they butted together and making sure there no over lap on the seams