Register free!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Member

new blue/rye mix on long island

I have a persistent customer looking for me to establish a new 70% blue 30% rye lawn in his yard. I have been trying to convince him to wait a few more weeks, but he is insists he wants it done this weekend. I told him I wouldn't guarantee it would come up as well as it should this early. I am putting down a good starter, siduran and he will irragate 3 times a day. Any other suggestions to get this lawn to come up ? Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We were just discussing the success rate of Spring seeding... the earliness of putting down seed isn't going to have a bad effect on germination when ever the situation is right for germination...
Absolutely no problem with seeding now... 3 times a day with the water, this time of year could be an issue however...
Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
We were just discussing the success rate of Spring seeding... the earliness of putting down seed isn't going to have a bad effect on germination when ever the situation is right for germination...
Absolutely no problem with seeding now... 3 times a day with the water, this time of year could be an issue however...
My major concern is not the rate of germination, but a hard freeze, and or frost killing the new seeds/sprouts. Any thoughts?
Btw...I will program his irragation for 3 times a day.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
My major concern is not the rate of germination, but a hard freeze, and or frost killing the new seeds/sprouts. Any thoughts?
Btw...I will program his irragation for 3 times a day.
Once the ground is warm enough to germinate, it would take quite a while for it to freeze solid again and kill KBG/rye... Cool season grasses will continue to grow and thrive right up until the ground feezes in winter... We had no browning at all this season, so don't worry about dieing sprouts...

this time of year and irrigation 3 times a day can easily be too much water for good germination... if it is real sandy, then maybe... but even in sand with any amount of OM is going to become too anaerobic at the surface where the seed is sitting... 3 times a day is for when it is hot and in full sun... not early April...

Just remember, that your client is 100% correct so far, so work with him and forget what you think you know about seeding...
Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Well.... I went ahead and regraded with new topsoil, added starter fert, added tupersan, and put down a nice kbb/rye mix yesterday. I set his irrigation to come on 3 times a day for 10 mins. I'm expecting the rye to come up first(obviously) and hoping the kbb follows not to far behind. Its a 70 kbb 30rye mix from a local sod farm(delailo) so I'm expecting a high germination rate. I will keep this post updated as to my earliest seeding job to date....keeping my fingers crossed....temps the next 2 weeks expected to be at about 60 during the day, and low 40's at night.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you are on the right track, Suzook. Remember it will be slow, due to cool night temperatures. Allow 14 days, before it is a half-inch tall. Frost will not damage new grass. One problem I see...rye grass is aggressive as a seedling...it may crowd out the KBG, with the result you get mainly a ryegrass lawn. It will look OK--provided you used good seed and it is disease resistant.
Keep an eye on the water--if it gets too wet--cut back a bit. You need less water when it is cool--as compared to hot weather. Rain can happen of course.

Since siduron does not last long, plan to treat with Dimension after the grass has been mowed twice--say late May.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I think you are on the right track, Suzook. Remember it will be slow, due to cool night temperatures. Allow 14 days, before it is a half-inch tall. Frost will not damage new grass. One problem I see...rye grass is aggressive as a seedling...it may crowd out the KBG, with the result you get mainly a ryegrass lawn. It will look OK--provided you used good seed and it is disease resistant.
Keep an eye on the water--if it gets too wet--cut back a bit. You need less water when it is cool--as compared to hot weather. Rain can happen of course.

Since siduron does not last long, plan to treat with Dimension after the grass has been mowed twice--say late May.
7 days later, and I see little sprouts already. I'm guessing its the rye. Btw....extremely dry up here, been watering twice a day for 5 min intervals to keep soil and seed moist. Only issue I see when I stop by, are the damn birds eating the seed!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Way to go, Suzook. You are doing it right. You used plenty of seed so the birds will be only a minor problem, right?

If you didn't use starter fert, do it now; it really speeds up the thickening of the new grass. Do a second feeding at about 30 days after seeding, 23-0-8 for example.

The birds are eating the surface seed which is not buried, it wouldn't have germinated anyway--I like to think. And hopefully birds are eating worms and grubs.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Day 12, and half inch sprouts everywhere. Some areas that don't get much irragation are still bare. The 90 degree day yesterday really helped. Looking good so far, but still no precip up here. When will the damn rain come?.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Another update..grass is coming in nice...except its spotty...a lot of bare spots. I'm guessing this is the KB still not coming up yet? Any thoughts?