Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rain here, one inch in last 12 hours. Thank you!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhunter View Post
Don't get me wrong, it gets watered plenty but I get so tired of dragging the hoses and tripod sprinklers around. The spray pattern and volume of the inground sprinklers also seems to get more water where it's needed than the standard above ground units.
This is where letting the grass come out of dormancy, naturally, will come in handy... No ferts, no squirts, just let the ground thaw, begin the decay process, roots grow downward to find more moisture as the surface drys, along with other processes that makes grass the Survivor, that it is... We have to start messing around with it as soon as we can make some money off of it...

Thatch is a truly man-made phenomenon... If you had a little brown layer of dead grass covering the soil, which allows for water perculation with great structure right at the surface, and roots growing down,,, instead of Thatch... you wouldn't be dragging hoses...

Let me ask: How rapidly is your green turf growing right now? How often have you mowed so far this season? and how much volume in clippings?...
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here in MD I have all my lawns on red alert, heavily watering.

We haven't had any significant rain in a month, maybe longer.

Never seen a winter/spring like this before....ever. So weird, it usually rains 2-3 times a week in April.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Member

2.5 in of precip since jan1st! I have a feeling we are gonna have a wet summer up here in the north east.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Excellent rain over the weekend here in Cen.Wisco,,, everything soaked up lots of water and looks healthy now... but again with the relentless, high winds... may be dry again by Wednesday...
Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
2.5 in of precip since jan1st! I have a feeling we are gonna have a wet summer up here in the north east.
We are a little higher than that in the Catskills, but we are dry. The few rains we've had in the past 2 weeks have just wet the ground, no puddles formed. Grass is green but not growing much. New seedings from mid-March are up, but are weak. I overseeded a small area that was graded and seeded from last fall, and that is showing promise but is also thin and weak.

It doesn't help that most nights since mid-March have been in the 20's-low 30's, save for last nights 50F. I shocked a small area of my lawn that I mowed last March when 3 days later it got down to 18F with strong winds, no frost however. It yellowed up for a few weeks, except for an area that was reseeded with turf seed. That area stayed dark green. So score one for JD Landscapes turf seed!!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ExploreTech View Post
We are a little higher than that in the Catskills, but we are dry. The few rains we've had in the past 2 weeks have just wet the ground, no puddles formed. Grass is green but not growing much. New seedings from mid-March are up, but are weak. I overseeded a small area that was graded and seeded from last fall, and that is showing promise but is also thin and weak.

It doesn't help that most nights since mid-March have been in the 20's-low 30's, save for last nights 50F. I shocked a small area of my lawn that I mowed last March when 3 days later it got down to 18F with strong winds, no frost however. It yellowed up for a few weeks, except for an area that was reseeded with turf seed. That area stayed dark green. So score one for JD Landscapes turf seed!!
What is so special about JDL seed? So far there service is lacking. They lost my business.

My own irrigation has been up for 1-month (60K gallon used for over 1 acre). water, we do no need no water! LOL
Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Its also been pretty dry here with some lawns burning but there is rain forecasted for Sunday/Monday. I also believe try and make the most money in the spring because you never no what the summer will bring but with this dry spring its hard to make money.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bx24 View Post
What is so special about JDL seed? So far there service is lacking. They lost my business. ...

They have had great service down in NC. Up here in NY they are more like satellite stores and don't stock any plants. The one in Binghamton closed last fall and moved remaining supplies to Syracuse.

I was comparing their turf grass to what was already in the lawn. Which is a mix of grasses, established for multiple decades.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Been pouring all day long, looks like we will get a 3 inch soaker out of this big storm. We needed it!