Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2012, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Wort I've Seen in Awhile! HELP

Okay. So i got a call the other day about maybe a little weed control, minor landscaping and lawn trimming. I showed up at the house and it just like smacked me in the face. This yard is BAD. It's in one of the wealthiest parts of town. However, the homeowner had just bought the house and it had been rented for the last 3 years. The renters and the landlord obviously didn't care about the appearance of the lawn. It looks like hey might have tried to spray a herbicide on the lawn and then it rained and ran to the lowest part in the lawn and killed all the grass. Also there are dandelions and broad leaf weeds everywhere. Also the grass is extremely thin. I customer wanted to over-seed, broad leaf control herbicide, fertilizer, and aerate. I said i will take a look around and email him an estimate. I walked around, gathered the square footage and such. In the estimate i suggested that we start with the heribice then fertilizer a few weeds later to control the weeds. I ex pained that i would rather control the weeds before we put down fertilizer. I than mentioned that if the grass didn't start to fill if after fertilizer and water all summer, that we would reseed in September. I got a call from him today wanting to go ahead and reseed and then wait on the herbicide until this fall. Do u think i went about this the right way. Both in the order stuff should be done and how i recommended something else than the homeowner wanted? Any input would be great. Thanks

Equipment

-2009 52" Ferris IS1500z
-2004 36" Toro Proline
-2002 Ford F250 7.3 Powerstroke
-2006 Ford F250 6.0 Powerstroke
- 6 1/2' x 16' Utility Trailer
- Stihl Trimmer
- Stihl Blower
Old 04-14-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Changes

For some reason my corrections didnt save.. Here's a repost......

Okay. So i got a call the other day about maybe a little weed control, minor landscaping and lawn trimming. I showed up at the house and it just like smacked me in the face. This yard is BAD. It's in one of the wealthiest parts of town. However, the homeowner had just bought the house and it had been rented for the last 3 years. The renters and the landlord obviously didn't care about the appearance of the lawn. It looks like they might have tried to spray a herbicide on the lawn and then it rained and ran to the lowest part in the lawn and killed all the grass. Also there are dandelions and broad leaf weeds everywhere. The grass is extremely thin. The customer wanted to over-seed, broad leaf control herbicide, fertilizer, and aerate. I said i will take a look around and email him an estimate. I walked around, gathered the square footage and such. In the estimate i suggested that we start with the heribice then fertilizer a few weeds later to control the weeds. I expained that i would rather control the weeds before we put down fertilizer and we would also areate at that time. I than mentioned that if the grass didn't start to fill if after fertilizer and water all summer, that we would reseed in September. I got a call from him today wanting to go ahead and reseed, fertilzer, and areate now, and then wait on the herbicide until this fall. I explained my reasoning for recommeneding what i did and the benefit of doing it in that order. Do u think i went about this the right way. Both in the order stuff should be done and tell the homeowner something different than he wanted to do. Any input would be great. Thanks

Equipment

-2009 52" Ferris IS1500z
-2004 36" Toro Proline
- Stihl Trimmer
- Stihl Blower
Old 04-14-2012, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Myself, I would go ahead with the fertilizer with crabgrass control and the weed control herbicide, also. No need to wait on these. Take advantage of likely spring rains. Prevent crabgrass. Prevent weeds from going to seed.

I would plan to fertilize heavily in the next few months controlling weeds as needed. If not irrigated, then try to apply fertilizer before rain.

I would respect the customers request, however. Fert, weeds, then add seed with aeration 7 days later. Just be sure you explain crabgrass control, and that skipping it puts the lawn at risk of a big crabgrass problem. And explain that additional seed may be needed in late August due to the average less successful time for seed in spring. I suggest fert. Then seed--then aeration--as this puts most of the core dirt on top of the seed--ideal for germination.

Then --if needed--plan to overseed when the soil temperature was still warm--say August 25th (kill weeds the week before if needed). This takes advantage of likely fall rains and cool weather of fall.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I figured crabgrass would be a given. Also I normally aerate first then run the slice seeder after aeration to overseed and break up the cores. Have i been doing this backwards?

Equipment

-2009 52" Ferris IS1500z
-2004 36" Toro Proline
- Stihl Trimmer
- Stihl Blower
Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is no 'right or wrong' answer to this... only , how much dirt/mud do I want to deal with for a so-called 'lawn'...?

If the client wants to give overseeding a try, then do your best to do a good job of overseeding... just let him know that you can't put down CG preventer, until the grass seed is growing well(unless you use expensive stuff)...
So there is a risk factor...

Once the new grass is up I would suggest a early summer spot spraying for broadleaf...