Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2012, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Help / Weed Identifying

Hey guys, I am trying to fix some bare spots in my lawn and im not having much luck, this is my lawn (not pretty)

and this is my big problem bare spot

I have a TON of this little guy growing in my yard as well and i cant name it to get rid of it.

As for our lawn, we got a seed mix that was recommended for our area and fertilizer. Neither really made a difference we have a few blades popping up in the bare spots from when i over seeded it. Does anyone know how to get rid of that little weed that is everywhere in my lawn?

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 04-15-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your 3 problem pix didn't show up so there's not much to comment on... looks like your 2012 work thread is fun and coming along well...
Old 04-15-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats weird they dont show up :/ i see them, i just uploaded again using imgur.com and this should work they are still in the same order though, thanks Smallaxe
Attached Images

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 04-15-2012, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

not sure what imgur is but maybe you could try the "go advance" button at the bottom of the text box here...
Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can see them now cant you? I can see them in both posts but i actually uploaded them to lawnsite.com the last time, im just going to keep doing that from now on

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, your weeds are chickweed and very easy to control with Gordon's 3-way. Did you overseed that lawn this past fall? What did you do? There's lots of variables here so a complete account of how you preceded to get grass or turf established. From there we can help you. A lot of the procedure depends on your location so please tell us where the property is located and type of soil. Photos are up and yes, just download straight to lawnsite.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for identifying that for me :-). I live in sullivan county NY, about and hour and a half up from the city. Our dirt is rocky but not very large rocks. We didnt over seed last fall but we did try this spring. We raked up all of our dead grass and pibe needles from last year, then we got some scotts turf builder and somescotts fert. We spread out the seed between our front and back yard 1/3 acre then did the aa with the fertilizer. If we did this completly wrong please dont be scared to tell me :-). Im on my phone, sorry for spelling errors
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is Veronica filiformis--veronica for short. Very difficult to control. Chickweed has white flowers (with 5 petals that are divided so that they look like ten tiny petals). Veronica has tiny blue flowers (tinged with a bit of white and lavender).
Both are winter annuals. They usually arise in the fall. Survive the winter, and bloom in early spring, (often before the first mowing).
Veronica is difficult to control, but usually goes to seed and disappears in hot weather--although it may persist in shady, protected areas.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is Veronica filiformis--veronica for short. Very difficult to control. Chickweed has white flowers (with 5 petals that are divided so that they look like ten tiny petals). Veronica has tiny blue flowers (tinged with a bit of white and lavender).
Both are winter annuals. They usually arise in the fall. Survive the winter, and bloom in early spring, (often before the first mowing).
Veronica is difficult to control, but usually goes to seed and disappears in hot weather--although it may persist in shady, protected areas.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh darn. First I could not post--then two copies. Then zero.
That is Veronica filiformis. Veronica has tiny blue flowers with a tinge of white and lavender. Chickweed has tiny white flowers. Both bloom in early spring. Often before the first mowing. Then go to seed. They are winter annuals and arise in the fall, then survive the winter.

Veronica is particularly difficult to control. Both do not withstand hot weather, except in cool protected locations.