Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Talking Work Thread Newbie :)

Hello Everyone, I have been watching this forum for a week or two and decided to join! It looks like a lot of people are on here with plenty of information! I noticed a lot of you have a "work thread" where you post pictures of your work so i decided it would be fitting to have one of my own!
If you want to know a little about me, I am 15 years old (I know im young, but hey i try). I started with mowing a few of my neighbors lawns in my neighborhood back in 2009 and realized that i enjoy it and like seeing my customers satisfaction on their faces after i do a job! I have now grown to 6 accounts 4 every week and 2 every other week. I have this year started to do more of the landscaping type jobs to increase my area of work.
So enough babbling ill let you see some of my work.

PS I am mowing with a 21" MTD push mower, if you have any tips on anything your criticism is greatly acknowledged!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I found some more pictures of that mulching job we did a couple of weeks ago, it was my first mulching job ever actually. What do ya's think? (I cleaned up the grass from edging after the pic was taken :P I also picked up my new mower last week and gave it a nice clean up and took a pic with all my equipment
Attached Images

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I cleaned out a shed in my backyard today to fit all my equipment nicely with room to expand =]
Attached Images

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First off, its nice to see a 15 year old with the ambition to do such hard work. Keep it up and you will be successful.

Just one piece of constructive criticism: Next time you do a mulch job that butts up against the house, make sure you level out the mulch as best you can, especially where it actually touches the house. It'll make your job look a lot cleaner.

Keep working hard at it!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks I know what you mean haha . I hope to stick with this for a while... where i live getting a job is extremely hard, but people will always be lazy and not want to mow! That was my first mulching job I learned a lot, DONT LET THE MULCH SPILL OFF THE TARPS! was my biggest it took me forever to blow out the rest of the grass from all that mulch! I will never do that again haha! I just went to a local trailer park near me and walked around passing out some 50 business cards. I went to each persons house knocked on their door, introduced myself and my services then gave them a proposal right on the spot! So many people were very impressed that I have a card aha I ended up acquiring 4 weekly accounts right then and 3 people said they may call me in the future! Each lawn will take me about 30 mins to mow trim and edge so i'm hoping i wont be to over worked with school and mowing until summer.

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 04-16-2012, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good job daddy 'o. Ya gotta start somehwere, and your starting off at the right age on the right foot
Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks! I hope that with my new purchase this year i can maybe reach 15 accounts! Last year i was working with 4

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My mower may be 12 years old, but it cuts like she was just born! I landed two new accounts today, BOTH weekly jobs. I also mowed them today. The first one i tried my hand at mowing some stripes the sun was behind me, but behind the mountains I may try a better pic tomorrow . The second is a weekly account but today was a clean up. A neighbor called me about an unsightly lawn next to her she cant stand. It turns out the house is being forclosed on and the bank hasnt hired someone to do a crappy job yet . So the neighbor is paying me to mow it. The grass was close to a foot tall as you can see so i am pretty happy considering it wasnt bagged or side discharged! I never mow more than a 1/3 of the original grass height but the customer asked for me to go shorter, should i have done that like i did? was it bad for the grass?
Attached Images

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 04-21-2012, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nah your good cutting it low, it's terrible for that mower though.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I only wanted to take off the top 1/3'd of the grass then come back next week and go a little bit more to slowly take down the height to a managable 3 1/2 inches i normally like to cut at, but the customer insisted that I cut it short as possible. So I charged her for 1.5 times my quote (and i told her that) because I ended up cutting it twice -_-

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo