Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Which of these mowers?

http://www.husqvarna.com/nz/products...=511635,511631

I like the compact body to get around trees, the other is 20 cm or so wider but has bigger tyres. We have an acre with a lot of obstacles. Help would be appreciated. Any idea if the double vs single blade matters much?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad12 View Post

I like the compact body to get around trees, the other is 20 cm or so wider but has bigger tyres. We have an acre with a lot of obstacles. Help would be appreciated. Any idea if the double vs single blade matters much?

Thanks!
If the 2038 isnt causing you financial worries I would get it. It has a wider cut section (quicker mowing), the transmission is a tuff torque which I believe is the same manu as Honda uses for its mowers with Hydro trannys and finally the dual blades mean you have two smaller blades as apposed to one larger blade. I would think that would give you a better cut. Also it is a bit wider but they seem to have the same turning radius, making them similar to maneuver I would think.

I have no first hand exp with either of these or really any riding mowers but these are just my observations.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad12 View Post

Thanks!
Just out of curiosity and especially since you have "a lot of obstacles", why aren't you looking at ztrs?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like allot of money to spend with a Briggs only option. Are you set on a garden tractor or are you open to other machines or other brands of garden tractors?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 04-12-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
Just out of curiosity and especially since you have "a lot of obstacles", why aren't you looking at ztrs?

X2. I would take that same money and buy a quality used commercial ZTR. You'll be so happy you did.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thank you for the responses. I decided on the 2038 without catcher (I'm a mulcher). It's a case of what I can get locally and cost. The dealer brought it to my house for a test drive and we definitely needed the bigger wheels. The lawn is way more uneven than what it seems from a push mower. It gets around the trees better than I thought.

It mowed through my knee high, lush kikuya/rye grass (don't normally let it get like that).

We saw a 2038 catcher model in the shop that had been used commercially for five hundred hours in less than twelve months and the guy had blown the gasket then the engine which had been replaced. Aside from the engine it was in pretty good shape.

If this thing lasts us six years I'll consider it good value. We mow in all seasons. I've been using a push mower. Can't believe how much faster the lawn tractor is, lol.

Thanks again for the responses.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice work!
ECHO PB-300e
Old beast! I cant wait to
get my new decals in the mail!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm happy with it

Thank you, it does a nice job on the lawn. There is one spot at the edge of my garden where one of my wheels spins and I have to lean weight onto that side without the safety switch disengaging under the seat so if someone had those kinds of situations a locking diff would be better but Iam quite happy with our choice.

We are taking it in next week for it's free 5-10 hour tune up and are having the mulching blades put on at that time. The husband is equally happy with it so far, it just fits around most of the back yard that he is responsible for.

The huskys seem like good value for the money. The newer models have half the turning radius which would be nice.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you finding that the blades it came with arent efficient enough at cutting the clippings so small that they cannot be seen and thats why you are having the mulching blades installed?

Did it come with the extra mulching blades (so when you bought it it came with 2 sets of blades) or are you paying for them?
ECHO PB-300e
Old beast! I cant wait to
get my new decals in the mail!!!