Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Anyone have experience with RedMax equipment?

When I started at Lawn Doctor in 1988, we were exclusively using the Turf Tamer walk behind. They still use them mostly, but also the new Turf Tamer Stand on.

The small 2 cycle engine on the TT walk behind was made by Komatsu Zenoah. These engines were fantastic. I dont know of a better, tougher, longer lasting 2 cycle. We put an average of about 32 hours per week of run time on them, for 40 weeks(Jan 22-Dec 10) per year. They were designed to be run for 2 full seasons before being over hauled for the first time. Then after season 2, we'd completely dismantle them in winter, clean the parts, replace the sealed roller bearings, piston rings and gaskets, then they were good to go for another season. After that they were overhauled like that every year, and would last many seasons.

They had to pull a machine weighing around 250-275lbs when full, all day long, up and down hills etc. They were abused.

I left Lawn Doctor in the late 90's, and eventually became self employed.

So now I need a new Hedge trimmer, and now that the internet lets us buy stuff that isnt available locally, I decided to look into equipment made by other manufacturers.

But I remembered how well the Komatsu-Zenoah engines ran, and wanted to see if they make lawn equipment. Turns out they do! But.....once I looked at their map of dealers, I found out they sell to every continent but North America and Antarctica.... I can understand not selling to Antarctica, there's not much lawn industry there, but there is in North America. Oh well, what'ya gonna do?

So I eventually get around to Red Max stuff, and I stumbled into an article that described that Red Max is actually Zenoah! Komatsu-Zenoah just rebadges their North American equipment with the Red Max name then ships it here......

But I've never seen it for sale around here, although supposedly there is a small engine shop about 30 minutes from here that can get them. But I dont see them being used by lawn guys around here, so most people dont know about their stuff around this region.... Kinda like when I had to travel to NJ to buy my Shindaiwa stuff.

So, have you used their equipment, particularly their hedge trimmers, and how does it hold up, how does it compare with other brands you've used?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

They're pretty good machines. The main downfall is that they are hard to get parts for.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been using a Redmax hedge trimmer for a year now. It works great, but then again I don't have much to compare it to. That was the first gas hedge trimmer I've every purchased. I have no complaints.

www.kglawnandlandscape.com
Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We used nothing but Redmax blowers and trimmers and absolutely loved them. The backpack blowers were fantastic, never had non-maintenance problems, and had a great dealer to fall back on when I needed anything.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have a Redmax backpack blower that we use daily as well as a Redmax trimmer that's currently our back-up trimmer. I've never used their hedge trimmers, so I can't comment on that. As for their backpack blowers, they're outstanding! We bought this one back in 2001, and it's still running great.

The RM trimmer we have isn't quite as old, but it's still one of the best trimmers I've used, despite a problem I had with the bump head that came stock with it. The retainer ring on the bottom of it broke off one day when I was trying to eject some line (I think I "bumped" it too hard), and since I couldn't find the same type of bump head for it locally, I ended up having to put a universal one on instead. Works just as good though.

However, despite Redmax equipment running great, I've become less partial to sticking with them solely due to the lack of availability for replacement parts in my area. The only dealer I know of locally who carries Redmax only carries a couple of their backpack blowers. Nothing else RM to be found there though. Because of this, I've started going with Stihl since that's what is most available in my area.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Redmax is great equipment. My local dealer carries the full Redmax line so parts aren't a problem for me.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Had a RM trimmer last me 8 years, but it had lost some power by then. Was probably the most reliable piece of equipment I've ever had, or could ever hope for. Sold it to my buddy and he put a new piston in it and it's back to running like a top with full power.

My RM HBZ8001 backpack blower is a BEAST.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on going exclusively with Redmax, I have a blower and hedge trimmer that run great and start up without priming every time when my Stihl wont start cause its finicky
2009 John Deere Z925A
2010 John Deere Z445
2004 Exmark 36" Metro
21" HRB216 Honda
misc
6.5x12 w/curb gate
Stihl BR420
Redmax 8001
Echo SRM230
Stihl FS90
Echo HC150
Shindaiwa LE260
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

i have redmax blowers and trimmers the best i have used
Old 04-27-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Moving away from Echo into RedMax a piece at a time. I am very impressed with the trimmer. Light! Fires right up - a little slower to warm up - by maybe 5 seconds than what I am use too and mine has a little vibes on spin up.... not sure if that is normal but it purrs and does not miss a beat. I noticed the big road crews using all redmax....