Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Help me chose!!!

We have just bought a new house and i am trying to decide on the mower i need
or want . I will be mowing .53 acre , i have thought about a 21'' push mower but i want to mow as fast as i can on my days off or before work . I am a firm believer in commercial mowers and that is what i want , i think the extra money up front more than pays for itself over time . I have been looking and wanting something from the Exmark line . I know the 21'' or the 26'' is probably all that i need but i was thinking if im going to spend that much money should i step up to
a 32'' or 36'' walk behind . I have a gate to my back yard but the 36'' will fit no problem . Also if i do step up to a walk behind is the hydro worth the extra cost over the belt drive . I know having the reverse would be a big plus .Also is it worth stepping up to a floating deck over the fixed in this size . I know this is a lot to ask but i need help making up my mind . Thanks for any help you guys can give me .
Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Shooter32, I don't think there is an easy answer to your question. You will need to demo a belt driven and a hydro driven walk behind. Then you will need to decide if you like the hydro driven machine enough to justify the significant increase in price. I would also ask if you have even considered the small commercial zero turn mowers made by Snapper and Gravely? I purchased the Gravely Compact Pro (34" Wide) and am extremely happy with its performance. I recently read a post on this forum about the new commercial Snapper Zero Turn (36" wide, I believe) and it sounds like an excellent machine for less money than the Gravely. I don't want to confuse you but just wanted to throw out a couple more options to consider as these are truly commercial quality machines.

Keep us posted on your progress and ultimate decision.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Bigfish , thanks for the input . I have looked at the small ZTR's and i really think i want to stay with a walk behind or at the most a stand on machine .