Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Atrazine vs. White Clover

The yard in question is centipede grass. Heavily covered in both henbit and white clover. Following directions, I applied the 4% Atrazine.

Henbit has turned brown and died. The white clover is not showing any signs of ill effect.

Questions:
1. I understand Atrazine will control white clover. Correct?

2. If so, how long should it take?

3. Have been advised to try 2,4D at a reduced rate. Thoughts?

4. If Atrazine won't do in the clover and you don't recommend 2,4D then can you suggest something else?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve P View Post
The yard in question is centipede grass. Heavily covered in both henbit and white clover. Following directions, I applied the 4% Atrazine.

Henbit has turned brown and died. The white clover is not showing any signs of ill effect.

Questions:
1. I understand Atrazine will control white clover. Correct?

2. If so, how long should it take?

3. Have been advised to try 2,4D at a reduced rate. Thoughts?

4. If Atrazine won't do in the clover and you don't recommend 2,4D then can you suggest something else?

Thanks for any help.
Steve

You poor misinformed person. Atrazine and 2,4-D won't touch White clover. In fact White clover is desirable in some yards and 2,4-D is a SELECTIVE Herbicide for White Clover. 2,4-D kills many other broad leafs EXCEPT white Clover.

I suggest you stop polluting our environment and hire a Profressional to care for your yard.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Ric,

Misinformed, perhaps. But not for the lack of trying. The label on the Atrazine states it controls both henbit and white clover. It zapped the henbit!

Likewise, I have 2,4D product that also states it controls white clover. Many references on the web say the same thing, including numerous articles by Universties and various Ag Extension Services. This is in direct contrast to your statements and my observations. 2,4D DOES kill clover, but it it also pretty rough on the centipede.

Thanks for the "hire a pro" advice. But it does not answer my question. I just need to know what product to use in conjunction with a good fertizler program (just starting that) to get things under control and lookin good. I've never owned centipede yard and just need to get up to speed.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Steve: Check out the Celsius label. It's a great product for centipede. Read the label especially the surfactant additive. You'll need to be able to measure it out in proper amount.
Atrazine is slow to damage some things. It may still be working. The old atrazine (RUP), not the 4% mixed with a product named Basagran, would work quicker. However the old atrazine was 40%. I agree with the EPA on this one as Atrazine moves horizontally in clay and loam and quickly moves downward in sandy soil into the water levels.
You will like Celsius, it's a lot more forgiving than some herbicides especially on centipede. You will need to use proper equipment for even coverage and application.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlmaroad View Post
Steve: Check out the Celsius label. It's a great product for centipede. Read the label especially the surfactant additive. You'll need to be able to measure it out in proper amount.
Atrazine is slow to damage some things. It may still be working. The old atrazine (RUP), not the 4% mixed with a product named Basagran, would work quicker. However the old atrazine was 40%. I agree with the EPA on this one as Atrazine moves horizontally in clay and loam and quickly moves downward in sandy soil into the water levels.
You will like Celsius, it's a lot more forgiving than some herbicides especially on centipede. You will need to use proper equipment for even coverage and application.
What he says...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you, gents. I'll read up on Celcius and presumably give it a go if I can master the measuing issues you discuss.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Celsius label makes it out to be an excellent product for my needs. But i don't think I can apply that, even if I could buy it.

Thanks just the same.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can buy it, it's not RUP.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only clover I have seen Atrazine work on is hop clover.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
The only clover I have seen Atrazine work on is hop clover.
That certainly agress with what I'm seeing. Thanks.