Register free!

Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

what kind of grass is this

I attached the images of the grass. yes i know the lawn looks terrible that part was leveled last year with loam and some of the grass didn't grow. but as you can see in the pics there is alot of grass that is bright green and is higher than the rest of the grass. i dont know what seed was used last year i just leveled it and my parents seeded it. i am going to level the rest of the lawn this weekend and then i am going to seed the whole lawn with a slit seeder. so what kind of grass is this and how compact should the topsoil be in the part i am going to level.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

In the last pic - one of the plants is annual ryegrass, the bud vernation is rolled, the auricles clasp, the base is reddish. The remainder of the stand is most likely the same, need to see it very close up to destinguish the characteristics.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think Dave is right. Annual rye is tall, shiny and light green. It has red coloration near the soil line. It has a slightly bulbous or onion shape at the soil line.

Usually has poor mowing quality--shreds instead of mowing cleanly. Often included in inexpensive seed mixtures. Will usually die out after a couple cold winters or hot summers. Keep the soil fairly loose when you sow seed --don't try to compact it much--light roller at most.

Use top-quality seed for best results...like Scotts Sun and Shade for instance.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I went to john deere landscapes and picked up some park and athletics mix. so now that i know what it is how should i get rid of it before i seed. should i just spray it down with round up and scrap it up.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Member

You could round it up/ wait the 7 to 10 days and seed from scratch with your slit seeder. That method has worked for me in the past well, especially since a slit seeder will be used, it will create uniformity of the stand.
Riggle what do you think? Have you used other methods.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You don't have to wait after spraying with Roundup--Roundup is inactivated by soil. I have heard you can seed right away. My own results (seeding on same day)were poor to fair in this regard.

I do not normally do any seeding, except for a few experiments and tests.

Annual ryegrass should disappear on it own after a year or two. So no need to get rid of it. Just overseed with a slit seeder. Use starter fertilizer and plenty of seed and this time keep it wet. It looks like only about 5 percent "take" last year. Fall is 50 percent better for sowing seed--very few weeds, no crabgrass, warm soil temperatures and potential fall rains. Seed comes up fast when soil temperature is warm. Start when soil temperature is high, yet fall rains are ahead. Say about Aug 28th. Or when average temps come down to about 85.

If you don't want to slit seed--use triple the usual pounds of seed--perhaps 18 pounds per thousand instead of 6 pounds. You have to decide which costs less--if you have to rent equipment.

And water every single day--for 30 days--do not skip a day.

Keep in mind you cannot use crabgrass control--and crabgrass could be a problem following a spring seeding.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 04-17-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-17-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I am getting loam on sunday to level it so i figured i would just kill the whole lawn today and start over. but when using the slit seeder wont it make tracks from the wheels in the new loam.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't say it's annual rye just yet. One of those pics looks like Turf Type Tall Fescue. If it is, I would leave it and let it mature and start producing some chlorophyl. Alot of the tttf I planted in the fall still isn't as green as the blue grass or perrenial rye. Don't forget, tttf usually takes the longest of the cool season turf types to green up. It's been a crazy year already.

By the way, Dave check your inbox.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On new soil--you don't really need a slit seeder. Lay on the seed and rake it in. Try to get most of the seed buried at about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep. Add starter fert and water every day. Use top quality seed, being sure it is disease resistant and at least 85 percent germination, 90 percent is better. Weed seed especially "other crop" (which means crabgrass and poa), should be less than 1 percent.

In the cool weather of spring plan on slower germination due to cold soil and cold nights--allow 10 days for it to get a half-inch tall. Get down on your knees and look close.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 04-18-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-19-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

ok thanks for all the info. what do you guys think someone would charge to level it with a bobcat. the yard is 2160 square feet roughly minus a little for a group of small trees and 3 small trees. i will be getting the material myself. i have a company coming out for an estimate tomorrow. i would just like to know what you guys think is a decent price.