Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Grass identification (bermuda + ?) (big picture warning)

I have two areas of my lawn that need to be either seeded or have sod installed (terrain rework and new cement walkway).

The one on the right is in 99% of the lawn, however I have patches of the one on the bottom left here and there (4-5" spots) I want to get as specific as possible so I can replace with hopefully the one on the right via seed or sod to match the rest of the lawn.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bottom left looks like Poa Annua (Annual bluegrass) based on the seedheads I see.

The Poa will die out soon once it gets consistantly hot. Just be sure to use some pre-emergent next years to help supress it.

You don't really need to seed the Bermuda. It will spread on its own once we start getting warmer nights in the upper 60's and above.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the ID on the left. Any clue on the variant of the bermuda?

The issue is I have multiple areas that need covered where I've changed the lay of the land and completed construction. We installed a new sidewalk from the front to back and I have a 6x45' mud/dirt strip that needs covered. I know the bermuda will EVENTUALLY cover it over time, but I would prefer to get it done quicker than that.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokleM View Post
Thanks for the ID on the left. Any clue on the variant of the bermuda?

The issue is I have multiple areas that need covered where I've changed the lay of the land and completed construction. We installed a new sidewalk from the front to back and I have a 6x45' mud/dirt strip that needs covered. I know the bermuda will EVENTUALLY cover it over time, but I would prefer to get it done quicker than that.
I'm not sure about where you are but tif419 is pretty common around here. That's what I have on my lawn. You would be surprised at how quickly it will spread this summer. Especially if you keep it mowed frequently it will start to grow horizontally. I mow mine twice a week during the heavy growing months in the summer. I mow mine a little high for tif419 (1.5" early in the season and 2" once we get into July-ish) but my lawn is so un-even and lumpy, anything under 1.5" leaves scalped spots like crazy.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I've seen tif419 advertised around here too. The lawn is about 10 years old, builder installed. I just want to ensure I do my best to match the current if I put something down.