Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to wonder if some of these guys ever clean their gas cans ?
They get crud in them and then it gets dumped into their motors.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My main trimmer is a SRM230 Ill have to trash it when I cant fix it
2009 John Deere Z925A
2010 John Deere Z445
2004 Exmark 36" Metro
21" HRB216 Honda
misc
6.5x12 w/curb gate
Stihl BR420
Redmax 8001
Echo SRM230
Stihl FS90
Echo HC150
Shindaiwa LE260
Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have several echo trimmers. Never ever had to take them in. Only thing I've done is change the trimmer heads. My srm210 is still running great. Starts on second pull after sitting awhile or first pull any other time. I have it to my dad to use now. My gas sits there all winter too. Never changed fuel filters either. The place I worked before mowing had an old piece of crap weed eater brand trimmer. Took abuse too. As far as I know its still running. My gas has 15% ethonal too. All original fuel lines, primer bulbs breather lines too. I never under stood how or why so many have problems. I also have an old deere trimmer. Runs good. Helper ran grass filled gas in it. Just got as Mich as I could.out. that was 5 seasons ago. Still starts on 2nd 3pull sitting all winter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2012, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That's the reason I kept saying warranty don't mean anything. The dealers are mostly not on your side. The first line is the dealer. If they took a picture that you have dirt inside, you are screwed.....not by Echo, it's the dealer. That's the reason I kept saying hell with buying from dealer. Get small equipments online to save money, you can easily save enough to buy a spare one on the side. Look at Kawasaki on ebay, they are good and cheap, get the KTR for cheaper and use as disposable. I paid $389 for my Maruyama 30" HT2321DLR free shipping and no tax. This is over $100 saving right there.

Engine problem is not as usual, how many people here have fuel related problems ( carb etc.)? How many get warranty repairs? Yes, there are good dealers, but how often? Two out of two in my area are bad.

Why people keep going back to dealer and pay more for frustrations?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes they just want u to buy new. They say...oh yeah that's not covered but I have a new one right here .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2012, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Today I got the word from Echo that they would not honor the waranty on my 280t that locked up on me, after less than two years. The dealer took pictures and said there was dirt in the bottom of the engine that caused the failure. I've ran nothing but Echo for years and never had this problem before. I'm religious about changing filters because I depend on the equipment. Today I feel like I got burned on what was suppost to be their best trimmer.
Sounds about right. Too many companies throwing-out 5 and 7 year warranties now. I bought a chainsaw, 2010 by Echo based on the warranty. Later, read about the warranty difficulties. Hitachi offers 7 years however, I won't buy anything based on the warranty anymore. I think it's purley a marketing tool mind you, an effective one. Too many ways for them not to honor it.

2012 F150FX Scab
2011 Scag 52" Vride
(3) Craftsman 42" riders
(1) John Deer 318 not working
(1) older Agrifab tow leaf sucker-upper, works good
(1) 2011 Echo Long shaft hedge trimmer
(1) 07' Honda single stage snow blower
(1) 2010 18" Echo chainsaw
(1) 2012 Husqvarna 326LS trimmer
(1) 2011 Ariens Pro 32" snow thrower
Old 04-17-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Warranty in small hand held is a scam. Buy online, buy cheap, buy spare. Dealer is the one that report to the manufacturer. They can write it to either get you the warranty or deny warranty. Learn to fix it yourself, have a beer, learn how to fix small problems. Most are just changing tubings, carbs. Even if you have to go deep, a set of ball head Allen Keys, a good vice and some common sense tool will do.

The way dealer get you is they write down an estimated minimum cost and they are going to sent for warranty. Then when they come back and deny warranty, you are stuck with the minimum cost no matter what.

One pop is easily over $120....for a $300 trimmer?!!! Get a Kawi KTR or something ( not the more expensive KGT) for real cheap and the hell with the warranty. Or husky 223 for $249 and take your chance. Some last for years, some don't. But on average, treat them as disposal or for parts, you'll be ahead.

BTW, Echo is only 2 years commercial, not 5. Only Maruyama give 5 years commercial warranty......for whatever it's worth.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

They always can seem to find good reasons why things cannot be covered under warrenty-you have to be VERY knowledgable and have vast experience to actually get warrenty-
Every poorly designed item should be warrenty--that is the whole purpose for warrenty, to shake out all the fleas to improve the product...
unfortunatly WE don't often push back-

leaves most people S.O.L F'em all!
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Problem is there are a lot of people still advice new comers to stick with dealer and some dealers came here to give reasons to defend the dealers. If this is other consumer goods, they will not get away with a fraction of this. Look at cars, you really get warranty unless you blatantly abuse the car.

But problem is people keep going back to the dealer for more.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It really does depend on your dealer. My hand held dealer gives me free carb adjustments for life and actually has a pretty much no question waranty but they are a 1 year. Honestly that's all you need to weed out manufacturing error. I told him I use a special oil and he would like to tear appart my unit in time to see if it actually protects it better. My kubota has been a no fuss warranty so far except for this past time when it took 3 weeks to do a 4 hour job do to be back up. I try to buy solid equipment and don't look at the waranty because I expect to have it longer than that.
Posted via Mobile Device