Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Pom Pom Pine Maintenance Questions

I have a couple pom pom pines and one pine shrub that seem a bit over grown. How can I help them become more defined and dense? The stems coming from the pom pom branches only seem to have needles on the last third; the inside is mostly bare or dead needles. Is this normal or a sign of a poor maintenance? Is it permanent? What, if anything, should I do with all the new candles? I took these photos today. Here's are the photos on flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7733933...th/6942753670/

Thanks for any suggestions. I'll be sure to follow up.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My first reaction is not to do anything to those pine's. But then again i have never needed to do something like that. Defined and dense... More sunlight. Needle's on the last 1/3 of the branch's... I think that is natural. Candle's... I woudn't mess with those, that's new growth. But if you want to prune, that's your starting point. I really don't know, but i do think it is interesting. I will try to find out more. Maybe this will help.

http://www.rothteien.com/landing/pru...uningpines.htm
Old 04-17-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's what I was able to dig up:

Prune conifers, such as pines, by removing a portion of the "candle". The "candle" refers to the candle-like appearance of the new growth on the tips of pines in early spring. Once the "candle" has matured, buds present on it usually will not develop and grow; however, removal of the tip of the candle before it matures can stimulate buds into growth.

The Colorado University Extension's master gardening site has a similar recommendation on their page for pruning evegreens.

I've just been shearing some candles (not recommended), pinching others, and leaving yet others alone. I think I just need to wait and see what happens now, but I'd love to hear others' experiences.

Tags
maintenance , pine , pom pom , pruning , shrub