Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I can tell you from experience that yes we are very lucky to be living in this country, I was in the military for 10 years, giving up my citizenship is not an option for me. I was just saying that there are those that are just that greedy that do it just to get out of paying taxes. As for other countries, Europe isn't bad at all I lived there for two years and loved it, but that's just me.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackitdown View Post
Is there a place like that?
Where it should be and we need to work to get it there while we still can.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I can tell you from experience that yes we are very lucky to be living in this country, I was in the military for 10 years, giving up my citizenship is not an option for me. I was just saying that there are those that are just that greedy that do it just to get out of paying taxes. As for other countries, Europe isn't bad at all I lived there for two years and loved it, but that's just me.
I know RIGHT....... I'm SICK os these KIDS bashing America when they dont KNOW what there talking about.....

I would love to take some of them to outer countries, drop them off and say There ya go. NO taxes here...... NOw lets see you survive for 6 months ...

LOL. I bet they would KISS the ground when they came back......
Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's hard to explain but I remember how good it felt to be back in the states after two years of being out of the country even though I was never in harms way.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
I know RIGHT....... I'm SICK os these KIDS bashing America when they dont KNOW what there talking about.....

I would love to take some of them to outer countries, drop them off and say There ya go. NO taxes here...... NOw lets see you survive for 6 months ...

LOL. I bet they would KISS the ground when they came back......
Wow. So you want to pay 100% taxes?
Old 04-19-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Wow. So you want to pay 100% taxes?
I doubt it, no one wants to pay any taxes. Taxes suck.

Most people understand that paying no taxes would cause society to collapse (think Afghanistan or Somalia). Paying too much would cause the same. No one rational thinks we could run our country properly without taxing ourselves. Yet none of us wants to pay any of their own money.

So it becomes a discussion about fairness. Who pays how much, when and where. Many people pay very little to the federal government, both rich and poor. Rich people who live off investments pay only capital gains at 15%, and only on the profit made when they sell an investment. Working poor only pay into social security and medicare, but pay no income tax if they make too little (under $15K or so). But we all pay sales taxes, property taxes, gas tax, fees, etc.

There is no simple solution to taxation. Especially since we are all motivated by self-interest.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 04-19-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I doubt it, no one wants to pay any taxes. Taxes suck.

Most people understand that paying no taxes would cause society to collapse (think Afghanistan or Somalia). Paying too much would cause the same. No one rational thinks we could run our country properly without taxing ourselves. Yet none of us wants to pay any of their own money.

So it becomes a discussion about fairness. Who pays how much, when and where. Many people pay very little to the federal government, both rich and poor. Rich people who live off investments pay only capital gains at 15%, and only on the profit made when they sell an investment. Working poor only pay into social security and medicare, but pay no income tax if they make too little (under $15K or so). But we all pay sales taxes, property taxes, gas tax, fees, etc.

There is no simple solution to taxation. Especially since we are all motivated by self-interest.
True words. I simply think Government is getting to big at 20+ % of GDP. This does not count state and local either.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
True words. I simply think Government is getting to big at 20+ % of GDP. This does not count state and local either.
I agree (it is more like 24%). And federal taxes are at a 59 year low as a percentage of GDP. This combination is causing the mammoth deficits. The tough part is that by far, the vast majority of federal spending is in just three main areas: military, welfare for old people (social security/medicare), and interest on our federal debt. All the other stuff doesn't add up to enough where cuts will work. If we want to stop spending, it is vital to cut where we actually spend the cash. We have to pay our debt, so that leaves elderly and military as the big targets to cut. Or we increase taxes. Or both.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 04-21-2012, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I agree (it is more like 24%). And federal taxes are at a 59 year low as a percentage of GDP. This combination is causing the mammoth deficits. The tough part is that by far, the vast majority of federal spending is in just three main areas: military, welfare for old people (social security/medicare), and interest on our federal debt. All the other stuff doesn't add up to enough where cuts will work. If we want to stop spending, it is vital to cut where we actually spend the cash. We have to pay our debt, so that leaves elderly and military as the big targets to cut. Or we increase taxes. Or both.
I know taxes will likely have to be raised but I want to see serious reforms first.
Last time we agreed to increases with the promise of reform. That was in 1986. Still waiting on those reforms.

This is and was very predicable for those watching and listening at the time. If interest rates do go up and they will have to go up then the debt service is going to kill us. We destroyed the traditional banking system in an effort to keep interest low.

Bottom line is this to return to the topic. We need a stable and predictable regulation and fiscal system so small businesses can operate and develop plans. With this health care issue looming we are in a lurch.