Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-14-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Likely not in Florida but we sure do in central Texas.... And just why can't they cross some dallis grass genes with other grass and we would be in great shape. Dallis grass is out early this year and so is King Ranch Bluesteim. I guess they will grow at will now that msma is gone.
I am sure someone at College Station is doing just that. Would be an indestructable lawn for sure.

Dallis is getting much worse in the last few years and pre-em is more important than ever.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Just wondering.
grandview not going to lie it looks a lot like my yard.
Exmark Mowers
Wright Mowers
Old 04-16-2012, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrooster View Post
How do you know that this particular lawn is done by the homeowner?

Wrooster
You seem relatively smart, so I will take that as a joke....

Your yard looks awesome, when did you start fertilizing this year
and what are you using/ rates etc.
thatching/ aerating/ seeding?
just curious
Old 04-18-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
What always baffles me is why I have to pay $250 in lic. fees plus Continuing Ed fees to app, yet a homeowner can just throw stuff down on their lawn on a whim. Maybe that will change in the future?
So you can treat customers' lawn like pro that knows his stuff. Homeowner can utilize your services or do it himself. If he doesn't read the label too bad for his lawn. I can choose to do my oil change at the dealership or buy oil, filter and get dirty.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I am sure someone at College Station is doing just that. Would be an indestructable lawn for sure.

Dallis is getting much worse in the last few years and pre-em is more important than ever.
Dalias grass is a perrenial, pre-em wont work. Maybe I am wrong, please let me know if I am bc I dont know what to spray now that MMSA is off the market for resi's
Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Dalias grass is a perrenial, pre-em wont work. Maybe I am wrong, please let me know if I am bc I dont know what to spray now that MMSA is off the market for resi's
You are correct but the Pre-Em works on stopping the spread or some pre-em will stop the spread.

I have yards full of the stuff next to some of my clients.

I have heard, a mix of Celsius and Revolver as a spot treatment applied 14 days apart in the later summer / fall will suppress/control.
I feel the stuff has to be dug up after killing it cause the crown is so dense. Might as well use two rounds of Round up.

Then again I have seen it come back after being what appeared to be completely dead from Round up.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
All I'm saying is they want us to be licensed to do this type of work and to make sure we understand what happens when you use to much product and get fined for using to much. Yet the homeowner goes and buys almost the same stuff and destroy his yard and cause runoff and pollute the land ,but that is ok because its his property.
Mmmm. Similiar to the 85 year old man with parkinsons driving his 40' RV down the interstate dragging a Tahoe behind it. But if us contractors have the wrong type of gas can in our truck we get fined.

Its all about the $. Just follow the trail. Gotta leave the old timer alone or its gonna hurt tourism etc...
Old 04-20-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemon View Post
So you can treat customers' lawn like pro that knows his stuff. Homeowner can utilize your services or do it himself. If he doesn't read the label too bad for his lawn. I can choose to do my oil change at the dealership or buy oil, filter and get dirty.
Both are a 50/50 mix.. I can see homeowners like me (was a pro back in the day) better than a pro or a pro doing a better job than some homeowners.

I had a sales rep (and 2 "workers" ) from Tru Green 3 weeks ago stop by while spraying (DIM 2EC) and he had no idea on Dithiopyr or Pendimethalin...sad...

Take your $450+ "BS" yearly app and beat it.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Homeowners are not required to get license becasue gov't knows people would throw them out of office if they tried-we are a minority and therfore people tend to enact thsi type of regulation becasue they don't see it as an infringemnt on their rights
....a little more accountability
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
All I'm saying is they want us to be licensed to do this type of work and to make sure we understand what happens when you use to much product and get fined for using to much. Yet the homeowner goes and buys almost the same stuff and destroy his yard and cause runoff and pollute the land ,but that is ok because its his property.
As opposed to a "so called" professional like yourself calling this photo into question and making wild claims about runoff, POLLUTION?, over application, destruction and more knee jerk reactionary alarmist BS comments.

You have no facts, no clue, and no right making these wild claims.

Looks to me like a roundup application. Perhaps it was to eradicate bent grass. Maybe it was a mis application.

You simply do not know, and whats more important?

You don't know, you don't know.