Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

JConner: I hope you don't mind if I step in here to be one of those who might answer your question. You grow the lighting business just like you grow other aspects of your business. Advertising, marketing, networking, and personal selling.
I don't want to assume you are just starting to do lighting but if you are......learn all that you can about the profession. I was in the landscaping business for 28 years before I became interested in lighting. I read 90% of the threads on this forum archives, going back to 2005, I think it was. I read books, magazine articles, and information on the internet. I studied catalogs for information on fixtures, bulbs, LEDs, wire, and accessories. I even went to a "one-day" seminar by one of the manufacturers. (That wasn't very helpful because I had already done so much studying that I didn't learn anything new.) I never touched a job until a year of study. Then I started with some maintenance jobs and small upgrades just to gain some basic experience. Now, after a year and a half, I just did my first full install.

Again, I don't want to assume what you, yourself, have done with lighting.
This was just directed at any reader who is just starting.

Now, after laying the groundwork with learning, I can sell and advertise with some confidence. I say "with some confidence" because I don't think you can learn everything until you "do" some of it. I have found that there is so much to learn about applications: what fixture works best for a given application; which light beam spread and intensity; how light reflects from various kinds of surfaces; which positioning to achieve a certain effect, etc.

Just my take. Learn first, grow second.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would agree with 100% of the above post. read, learn, repair, add-on, then advertise, then install.

as far as growth, we have grown the landscape light side of our business by 10's of thousands of saturation route mail postcards, google adwords, yard signs, truck graphics, yellow pages, etc. referrals do come over time but do not keep us busy enough. The yard signs generate neighborhood referrals when installing that is worth every penny.