Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Spreader mate advice

I am wondering your opinions on the Spreader Mate by Gregson Clark that fits into the Lesco 80lb spreader.

Those that have used this setup please give your advice on the efficiency of the setup and how easy/hard it is to operate?

What is the most difficult thing about using this setup?

What is the largest size area in sqft you feel comfortable using in?

Any and all advice or negatives/positives are great information and I appreciate your feedback. I am not currently in the market for a ride on.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Bump...I know some of you have used this setup. Can you please give me the good and bad you experienced? And the size of properties you used this setup on? Thanks
Old 04-19-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

From what I understand, they are not that popular, even though Gregson-Clark advertisements of the spreader mate pop up every thirty seconds. Some guys use walk behind sprayers for smaller lawns but most either have a skid sprayer or a ride on like Permagreen.

PG makes a synergy kit for the Lesco spreaders to insert into the hopper as well, but again, not really that popular because it is only a2 gal tank and takes up room in the hopper so there is less space for the fertilizer.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Bump...I know some of you have used this setup. Can you please give me the good and bad you experienced? And the size of properties you used this setup on? Thanks
We had a couple of them in our Lesco HPS units..... They suck a$$, do not waste your money on them.

Save yourself the headache, buy a Permagreen, ZSpray, or T3000. You will be alot happier being able to spray and spray at one time.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feed back. I am not at a point for needing a ride on except for on property a ride on or something compact without a hose would be wonderful.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuy73 View Post
We had a couple of them in our Lesco HPS units..... They suck a$$, do not waste your money on them.

Save yourself the headache, buy a Permagreen, ZSpray, or T3000. You will be alot happier being able to spray and spray at one time.

Just my opinion.
Why don't you like them?
Old 04-20-2012, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

BleedingGreen,

Have you used these, can you give your feedback if you have?

Thanks
Old 04-21-2012, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
BleedingGreen,

Have you used these, can you give your feedback if you have?

Thanks
I just bought one this winter but have not used it much yet. So far I have only a few of what I guess I'd call complaints.

1. I was expecting it to have a better fit in the hopper of my lesco spreader. It's not bad but it has more space between the tank and the sides of the hopper than I would have thought it should so I actually put some padding on the tank itself to keep the wear from rubbing to a minimum.

2. The way the spray boom is supported it could use a little more support then what is offered by the two holes you drill through the hopper. It wouldn't be an issue if you were on flat hard surfaces but pushing the spreader across bumpy surfaces like a lawn makes them jump more than I like since I think it puts added stress on the hopper where the mounting holes are. A couple stainless band clamps took care of that.

3. It is heavy to push in a spreader. I'd say it's probably close to 130lbs of added weight when full plus it sloshes around when pushing. Again hard flat surfaces wouldnt be bad but across bumpy surfaces, it's a workout. Having a ride on spreader or even a self-propelled walk behind spreader would be great.

Overall I think it's a great unit under certain circumstances. It's simple, efficient, and it sprays very well. You can spot treat with the wand and hose and the boom sprayer is like painting as it sprays a nice uniform and wide spray area. I wouldn't go for the "boomless" version personally. It mixes by using excess pump pressure and you can adjust the pressure to fit your application rates. Would I want to spray acre after acre with it? No, but for smaller treatment areas or areas that have lots of obstacles it can't be beat. The other downside I guess you could say is that it's kinda expensive but if your not in a rush you can get a used one for like half the cost or less. Obviously you also cannot spread and spray at the same time and you need to have a charged battery for it to work.

Last edited by BleedingGreen; 04-21-2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses