Register free!

Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

What size tanks

Hey guys. Im jumping into the fert biz this year. I've been mowing for 7 years. I'm starting out with 35 fert accounts until I get the techniques down. I'm doing five apps, 6 weeks apart.

ANy ways, should I go with a 100 or 200 gallon.
I'm shopping the turbo turf space saver, for the pickup. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Member

To clarify the lawns are all 1/3 acre or less. Does the 200 take up too much room in the bed.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Equipment should be sized to the job done. The major factors are HOW GALLONS PRE THOUSAND are you applying. There is a relationship of Quality or response of the fertilizer to the volume of water applied.

The more water the better the response and LESS PROBLEM with operator error.

The more water used means Transportation issues.

Bed space issue can be a problem when you are using one truck as a utility vehicle. I suggest you might want to set up a trailer spray rig that is only pulled on the few days you are spraying. As a one man band I have 2 spray trucks and two trailers set up with different products. The trailers are used only once in a while for special jobs in my case.

Back to Gallon per Thousand applied. No two people are going to agree on how liquid fertilizer should be applied. I do 5 gallons per thousand some go 10 and even more. But most go 2 to 3 gallons per thousand so they can cover more ground per tank. Some use as little as 1/2 gallon. I am not going to talk WHY.

What Tank size??? I like 300 gallon tanks but I am not you. Remember you can alway mix a 1/4 or 1/2 of a Big tank but you can't mix 2 times as much in a small tank.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Ric, I needed some reassunrance on the ideas. I'm going to get the 200 for budget reasons. I'll hafta shop trailers, I can already see that grass clippings and sprayers don't mix.

I could not find any opinions on Turbo Turf Sprayers on the site. I'm going to order one this morning. Thanks again.