Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2012, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl BG-KM blower attachment for Kombi-system. Anybody use one?

My 4 yr. old gas blower died at the end of the season last year and I've been looking for a new one. All the ones I'm interested in at the big box stores run about $150, but I happened to think the other day that I bought the Stihl Kombi-system with the weedeater head on it last summer and I may as well use the functionality of the Kombi-system since I've got it. I wonder though how well that blower works. Has anyone used it? How did it do? It's $50 cheaper than a handheld. The airflow chart on their website said I would get 145mph (556 cfm) out of it with my KM-110R power unit.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA57 View Post
My 4 yr. old gas blower died at the end of the season last year and I've been looking for a new one. All the ones I'm interested in at the big box stores run about $150, but I happened to think the other day that I bought the Stihl Kombi-system with the weedeater head on it last summer and I may as well use the functionality of the Kombi-system since I've got it. I wonder though how well that blower works. Has anyone used it? How did it do? It's $50 cheaper than a handheld. The airflow chart on their website said I would get 145mph (556 cfm) out of it with my KM-110R power unit.
I know it blows a heck of alot more than the echo pas version, and I know it smokes the cheap ryobi handheld 2cyl version and 18v....I doubt it will beat a good backpack gas blower like the bigger stihls or echos, but it works good for driveways,sidewalks,etc. I use it with my km-90r
Old 04-20-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I don't expect it to put out what a backpacker would, but if it does as good as one of the cheap Ryobi handheld units, then I think it'll do fine. I'd like a backpack unit except for putting it on and taking it off. I just don't do enough blowing to deal with that...
Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got one, and a KM-110R. It has less power than my BR-500 backpack (which is stronger than a box store backpack, but way weaker than a full size pro backpack).

BUT, it has more power than my BG-85 had, and that was about as strong a handheld as you could get. I hear that if you have a KM-130, it gets even stronger (and with a KM-90, it doesn't blow quite as hard).

The downside, is it is also way heavier than my BG-85, but since I use the neck strap, I really don't notice the weight any more.

It IS funny looking, but it does work well, and blows as hard as they claim. As a homeowner, I bought it to replace my BG-85 (which I then sold), so I would have one less engine to maintain, and I've been quite happy with it (although it really doesn't get used nearly as much as my backpack).
Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys, how long is the shaft on that attachment? Does it extend close to the ground?

Also rlitman, you say you use the neck strap? Does it really help? I guess I got out of practice with the trimmer over the winter. I don't remember it bothering me last year like it did last night. I felt like I just couldn't get comfortable with it and my lower back felt twisted, the whole time I was working with it.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA57 View Post
Hey guys, how long is the shaft on that attachment? Does it extend close to the ground?

Also rlitman, you say you use the neck strap? Does it really help? I guess I got out of practice with the trimmer over the winter. I don't remember it bothering me last year like it did last night. I felt like I just couldn't get comfortable with it and my lower back felt twisted, the whole time I was working with it.
Ok, to the first two questions:
The "shaft" itself only sticks out of the back enough to engage the Kombi clamp. Maybe 3", but the blower attachment itself is quite long. Probably 3'.
My legs are pretty short. Everything I hold is close to the ground. LOL
Yeah, I can get the tip close to the ground, if that's what you mean. It reaches out further than you would reach with a handheld blower, and that's a nice thing for blowing leaves out of beds, and out from under things like a grill.

It balances well against the engine, but the whole setup is heavy. Heavier than if you were using it as a string trimmer. I'm sure you could muscle it (plenty of people muscle these as string trimmers), but with the strap adjusted to my liking, I can one-hand it.

Oh, and when I was considering mine, I went to the dealer and asked him what he thought of it. He said to bring my Kombi motor, and I could play with a blower in the parking lot, and see if I liked it. There were no leaves on the ground at the time, but I was moving around walnut sized gravel with it, and it felt like it could tear sod up from the ground and roll it back up (ok, maybe that's a slight exaggeration).
That was what tipped the scales for me.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought the KM130 with blower and straight trimmer. I haven't used either attachment, but I'm kinda looking forward to it. The 130 is probably way more than I need, but I guess I would rather have too much than not enough. I was going to buy the 110, but the place where I bought the unit only carried the 90 & 130, and I didn't really feel like waiting for them to order it. I also thought the increased blower capacity might come in handy in the fall when my yard and driveway get covered with leaves.