Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Massey Ferguson ZTRs?

I am in the process of looking at getting a new ZTR and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these? I have searched but didnt find too much information..
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer
Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

As long as you have decent parts availability (local dealer?) and the parts arn't marked up 500% sounds like a good go for a tough mower
Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i've only seen tractors made by them. maybe they are trying to be like deere and get into mowers too.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you read through this PDF, you'll see they are really more of a high end homeowner/low end commercial mower. Both the diesels weigh in less than many gas models from other name brands which is great for the turf, but it tells me that there's not as much material in their construction overall, and they have much lower BTS's as well. They also have tunnel decks, which I know firsthand will cut every bit as good as any deck made, but not when you're dealing with large amounts of thick grass, and taking of several inches at a time at high speed as is common in the spring. They do look interesting though, and I hope they turn out to be another good choice eventually.

http://www.masseyferguson.us/Library...s-Brochure.pdf
Old 04-23-2012, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Member

FYI-Massey Ferguson mowers are sourced from Simplicity who has their ZT mowers built by Ferris and both of those are owned by Briggs & Stratton.
Seeing we own 2 Ferris walkbehinds if the newer ZT's are as good as our hydro DDs as long as you have a local dealer all should be good.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

They have some nice features. If they would put a good deck under it, I think it worth a look.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-23-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpilgrim View Post
FYI-Massey Ferguson mowers are sourced from Simplicity who has their ZT mowers built by Ferris and both of those are owned by Briggs & Stratton.
Seeing we own 2 Ferris walkbehinds if the newer ZT's are as good as our hydro DDs as long as you have a local dealer all should be good.
Those mowers in the brochure are this http://www.iseki.co.jp/english/products/prod-zero.html
Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
If you read through this PDF, you'll see they are really more of a high end homeowner/low end commercial mower. Both the diesels weigh in less than many gas models from other name brands which is great for the turf, but it tells me that there's not as much material in their construction overall, and they have much lower BTS's as well. They also have tunnel decks, which I know firsthand will cut every bit as good as any deck made, but not when you're dealing with large amounts of thick grass, and taking of several inches at a time at high speed as is common in the spring. They do look interesting though, and I hope they turn out to be another good choice eventually.

http://www.masseyferguson.us/Library...s-Brochure.pdf
Weight is w/o mower deck; agree on tunnel deck. I do not see in that brochure why that mower can not be used commercially, very similar to the Kubotas, seems very heavy duty, but I have never seen one in person.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked for one of these back in 08 and 09 but couldn't find one around here in N AL. They look like decent mowers though.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLC View Post
Those mowers in the brochure are this http://www.iseki.co.jp/english/products/prod-zero.html
Beat me to it. Most MF L&G machines are Simplicity built, but not these.

You're right about the weight. It was late last night and I just missed that. I also agree that they seem decent enough for commercial use, but like I mentioned, they need deeper decks for all purpose use in a commercial application IMO, along with a boost in BTS to at least 18K FPM..

There are only a couple MF dealers anywhere near us, and they are at least 30 miles from us if not more. They don't carry these machines, but instead carry more commonly used Z's from other sources. Not sure just exactly why though.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 04-23-2012 at 11:55 AM.