Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-09-2012, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I also think for a single axle the contractor body is the answer but 13-14' for max length. The only drawback I could think of the contractor body compared to a flatbed would be for carrying sod pallets as they are usually much wider than retaining wall and paver pallets. I like the fold down side as you can haul attachments there and don't have to have a huge trailer. Get a trailer to haul the skid and excavator and put your attachments or supplies in the truck.

Too bad you weren't closer as you could try out the Kodiak to see if you liked that type of truck.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes I would like a 14 foot dump. 16 foot max. My Idea is to out fit the truck with tool boxes under the bed mounted on the frame so they do not move. I can also do a Job box that is removable on the bed so when I get to a job I just unload and leave it. I have looked at utility beds but as of right now I just do not need that much storage space.

I have been shopping for 4500/5500 trucks but the 4 door flatbed 4x4s here are very expensive.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB Construction View Post
I think it's priced too high as well. I also think it's too much truck for what I need and I'd like an auto trans. I do like the contractor bed design though...I think.
I prefer an Auto as well. I like the contractors bed also.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, Job box in the back, fixed boxes under the bed. I would add a rack for shovels, gravel rakes and a broom too. Here's one that looks interesting. http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...?OHID=3420231&

I'm leaning more towards an International. The 444 is basically a 7.3 Powerstroke with different tuning, water pump and a larger fuel filter. I have 280K on an F350 with 3.73 gears that does my hauling work now. No problems with the engine at all. The International 466 is an inline 6 with harder cylinders and is even more heavy duty.

The Cat 3116 in the Chevy/GMC's is a dog and I'm not thrilled with the early Duramax engines either.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB Construction View Post
Yep, Job box in the back, fixed boxes under the bed. I would add a rack for shovels, gravel rakes and a broom too. Here's one that looks interesting. http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...?OHID=3420231&

I'm leaning more towards an International. The 444 is basically a 7.3 Powerstroke with different tuning, water pump and a larger fuel filter. I have 280K on an F350 with 3.73 gears that does my hauling work now. No problems with the engine at all. The International 466 is an inline 6 with harder cylinders and is even more heavy duty.

The Cat 3116 in the Chevy/GMC's is a dog and I'm not thrilled with the early Duramax engines either.
I've heard other complaints about the 3116 but my experience with it has been good(they are just spendy to fix), have never had any issues with power.

I have wondered what the differences with the IH 7.3 and Ford 7.3? Have seen some 4700LPX trucks that seemed interesting as an option instead of a 550?

AWJ, do you use job boxes? I love ours and it was one of the best things I've done.

Have a question for you guys - What would you think of an IH4700('97 w/ under 50,000 miles) with the box off my Kodiak? It would be 35,000 gvw(12 front/23 rear), DT466 w/Allison, central hydraulics, 13' box w/air trip tailgate, pintle hitch for $17,000?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a link for the differences between the Powerstroke and the International http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/t444E.html

I have a friend with a GMC and contractor bed for sale in SoCal with the 3116. He's only asking $6.5K. His only complaint was the power when towing over 10K. I have read that there's a fuel filter under the cab that gets overlooked quite a bit and robs power.

Pretty low mileage on that '97 and the price seems in line.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

I am also in the septic buisness and use a flatbed dump 94 International with an L-10 Cummins with an 8 speed trans cold air plenty of power. I built a hitch to pull my 20 ton tag and my 6 ton tag I call it my big pickup couldn't live without it.The L-10 is a much better engine than the DT-466 or the Cat. Mine had 160,000 miles when I bought it and gave 15,000. These trucks are out there you just have to be looking. I had a ten wheeler before never again.The flatbed dump is what works for me.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/2926033326.html

Found this truck. Is the M11 cummins any good?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had an IH with a 9 speed, L-10, 33K GVW it had a 16' contractor bed with fold down sides.

Plus: The L-10 is in my view the best 300 hp diesel you can get in this type of truck. I have had two of them, one with over 750K and never a problem. The fold down sides are great for loading palletized items, I also liked loading awkward sized items like tree stumps in that bed, You never had to worry about getting hung up.

Negative: Like someone said concrete is hard a truck body and really tough on contractor sides. Mine was built well but I tear out a lot concrete and the bed took a beating. Having a 5-6 yard capacity, especially at 4.25 diesel doesnt cut it for me.

It really comes down to what you want or need the truck for. Light duty use, and the ability to haul a large variety of items, its hard to beat the contractor body. If my choice was a contractor body or a 5-6 yard gravel body like you see on single axle trucks, I would go with the contractor body unless I was moving concrete tear out or rip rap exclusively.

I think the best answer is a demo body on a tandem truck with a high lift end gate. My Mack has a bed like this. I can lift the tail gate out of the way (its a high lift that is on hyd rams) and can load pallets in the rear or attachments. It can handle abrasive loads as its a demo body and best of all it can haul 10-12 yards of material depending on what I am hauling.

When I say the best I preference that by saying the best as I see it. Its really hard for me to see the value in a single axle truck, the costs to run a tandem are only marginally higher but with the increase in capacity the additional costs are easily erased.

If you do go with a single axle, dont settle for less than a 33K GVW. I cant remember if you have a CDL or not but dont let that get in the way. A single axle truck at 26K has almost zero value, and if you are pulling equipment behind it your likely over anyway.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I had an IH with a 9 speed, L-10, 33K GVW it had a 16' contractor bed with fold down sides.

Plus: The L-10 is in my view the best 300 hp diesel you can get in this type of truck. I have had two of them, one with over 750K and never a problem. The fold down sides are great for loading palletized items, I also liked loading awkward sized items like tree stumps in that bed, You never had to worry about getting hung up.

Negative: Like someone said concrete is hard a truck body and really tough on contractor sides. Mine was built well but I tear out a lot concrete and the bed took a beating. Having a 5-6 yard capacity, especially at 4.25 diesel doesnt cut it for me.

It really comes down to what you want or need the truck for. Light duty use, and the ability to haul a large variety of items, its hard to beat the contractor body. If my choice was a contractor body or a 5-6 yard gravel body like you see on single axle trucks, I would go with the contractor body unless I was moving concrete tear out or rip rap exclusively.

I think the best answer is a demo body on a tandem truck with a high lift end gate. My Mack has a bed like this. I can lift the tail gate out of the way (its a high lift that is on hyd rams) and can load pallets in the rear or attachments. It can handle abrasive loads as its a demo body and best of all it can haul 10-12 yards of material depending on what I am hauling.

When I say the best I preference that by saying the best as I see it. Its really hard for me to see the value in a single axle truck, the costs to run a tandem are only marginally higher but with the increase in capacity the additional costs are easily erased.

If you do go with a single axle, dont settle for less than a 33K GVW. I cant remember if you have a CDL or not but dont let that get in the way. A single axle truck at 26K has almost zero value, and if you are pulling equipment behind it your likely over anyway.

I am getting my CDL. I am going to look at this truck. The dump body is not what I want but the truck seems clean.