Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-23-2012, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Overseeding Bremuda

I have read many post about overseeding Bremuda and see mixed feelings. I have a sodded bremuda yard that is VERY thin which is from lack of water and 3 years of not properly maintaining (fert, mowing regular and watering). I sent off for a soil test and was surprised the results were not bad. The pH was on mid to high end.

I was curious if anyone has ever done hydroseeding as a form of overseeding. I just finished installing an irrigation system and plan to overseed in one way or the other. I want to get some new grass coming in over the entire lawn opposed to just filling in the thin areas. I plan to cut the grass real low, aerorate, spread thin layer of top soil/compost and then over seed.

Lastnight I came across some information and videos of people hydroseeding their new lawn and even overseeding using this method as well. To me it seems they have much higher success rate than just overseeding with a spreader so I am considering this as an alternative. I understand the cost will be a little more but would it be worth the cost to do it this way. The local sunbelt rents the machine for $250/day.

What are your opinions on hydroseeding in my situation. Yard size is about 8500 sqft.

What is a good bermuda seed to use considering my sod is probably some form of hybrid bermuda. I live in upstate SC. Lawn is in full sun.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why waste your money when bermuda grows on its own?

With proper irrigation, frequent mowing (I mow mine twice a week during the peak of the growing season) and the right fert program, by mid-summer you will be surprised at how quickly your bermuda lawn will bounce back from neglect.

Top dressing it and aerating it will also help.

I picked up a new client last season who's yard hadn't been fertilized at all since she bought she house (3 years) and her son had been scalping the crap out of the yard for 3 years (mowing it bi-weekly) I started mowing it weekly at the proper height and mulching, put it on a proper fert schedule, and by about August it was looking really good. This was without irrigation and only rainfall.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

That sounds promising. I guess I just dont trust that it will get as much growth as I want. I believe the builder used very low quaility sod as none of the neighbors grass looks very good. They are building new homes (finally) and the new builder is using a much better turf. I would like to get a good grass coming in and not just wait for the low quality stuff to fill in. I really think I need to overseed in some form but just dont know which way will be more beneficial.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hybrid bermuda sod will recover and fill in quite nicely if if is irrigated correctly. fertilized sufficiently and mowed low. Bermuda looks bad when it is starved and mowed too high on an infrequent basis. You are looking at fertilizing it every month of the growing season, stopping a month or two before expected dormancy. Mowing it with a reel mower at 1" every 3-7 days will also help it fill in much better. Low mowing encourages lateral growth of the stolons. It is the opposite of dealing with cool season grasses.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-03-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

There really is no such thing as "low quality Bermuda sod." In the SE, 90% or better of the Bermuda used to sod a home is Tifway II aka 419. It's a very high quality hybrid Bermuda. It just happens to be pretty inexpensive. In the Atlanta area you can find it for roughly $85 per pallet.

Bermuda seed is only available as the common variety. Ther are some improved versions like Princess 77. If you don't have any shade, just using the proper maintenance practices will yield a very full, green lawn in no time, like the others have said.