Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-22-2012, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lighting job

What do you think of my light positions on the front of this house? Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2012, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks pretty standard, but since you asked, things I would change/add-

1- you are going to have a killer shadow on the right half of the top peak and it is going to be obvious. along with #6 below, you need a gutter mount on the gutter near the column on the left side of the door , if you are facing the house.
2- the same is true of the dormers. they are kinda different, and they are part of the architecture of the house. 2 gutter mounts there.
3-I would reccomend extending beds for the front column lights. lawn mower folk hate anything in lawns and try to run over it.
4- there is probably a can or several can lights above door, I would put a digital timer in a decor switch panel beside the door. I would also put 15 watt bulbs in all the 120v outside lights and see if they all can be wired into the same timer. that creates "blanks" on the several switches that probably control those lights, but less timers =less headaches.
5- not sure about your plan on that bay window, but bay windows are cool and sometimes look better on the corners rather than the flats. here you need both to get the wall.
6-the left of the front door is going to look dim if the whole thing is lit from a corner light. probably need a middle or 2 lights there. in some cases we have switched to up/down lights, but then the whole house looks funky. my choice is up/down, but not really ideal.best would be an up light with some ambient carriage for patio use.

Last edited by David Gretzmier; 04-23-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Consider core drilling some small mini well lights within that area below the front overhang. This will up light the facade the same way that you are doing the rest of the front, as well as to light the main entry way area as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Sponsor

question or two. how old is the home, did this client build the home? is the landscaping finished in the front or is there more to come. are what we are looking at the width of the property? is there foilage left and right we can't see? You said your client doesnt want to mount to patio, why not? as david wondered, are there can lights? I see a coach light to the right of the front door, not one to the left? Why are you doing a lighting design for this client? It is difficult for any of us to do our best design work here but we have very little information. The first lesson I would share is to learn to do a design with your clients wants/needs/desires in mind. They are the ones who live there. asking those of us here will only gain design ideas that we think look good and we don't live there. You/we can be helpful but much more info about your clients desires wouldbe required.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Sponsor

Preferably landscaping/plants would be added first before installing the lighting. However if that is not in the cards, plan for it by including lots of slack/extra wire around the fixture so you can reposition the fixtures later.
(813) 978-3700

LED Landscape Lighting
LED Outdoor Lighting
Low Voltage Transformers
Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe that's all the landscaping they want. There are some evergreens on the right front of the home and their is a sizeable plant on the left end. By the size,
it would appear they were planted some time ago.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."