Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-25-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Ferris Clutch Problem 5021083

My Ferris DDSKAV17 needed a new clutch. So I consulted the parts manual and googled the part number: 1521083 / 5021083. Everyone on the internet is selling a stens / warner 5215-14 as a replacement for that Ferris part. The original clutch on my Ferris is an Ogura MA-GT-EXM.

I had to use additional washers between the transmission pulley and the clutch bearing so that the clutch housing would clear the transmission pulley. The only problem seems to be that the clutch pulley is lower than the original which makes the deck belt ride low on the stationary idler pulley (the one next to the tensioner pulley.

I contacted Warner about all of this, and they said that Ogura and Warner clutches are usually never interchangeable. I can't be the only one with this problem. When you google that Ferris part number, no Ogura clutch comes up. My Ferris dealer has the Ogura - and it's 2x the cost of the Warner.

Has anyone else used this Warner clutch successfully on a DDSKAV mower? Will the belt riding low on an idler pulley cause accelerated wear to the belt?

When I google the Ogura number from my original clutch - MA-GT-EXM, I see units that look similar, but they all have additional numbers. For example, MA-GT-EXM3XS, MA-GT-EXM3X, MA-GT-EXM14. The 3X looks like a fit, but who knows. It's not my exact part number. By the way, none of them are listed as a Ferris replacement.

If anyone has experience with this, your insight would be appreciated. The Warner is installed and working, but I just want to make sure there won't be any consequences from using this clutch later on down the road.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It would appear that Tulsa Engine Warehouse seems to agree on the Ferris part number crossover.

http://tulsaenginewarehouse.com/7-06...2&category=371
Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I my opinion, that Orgura clutch will last 2x longer than the Warner clutch. Plus, it's adjustable. It's just a better clutch.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When I lookup that clutch in my Ferris price list...in the description it gives a different Warner type number. But I can almost guarantee when I order it from Ferris I am going to get an Ogura clutch.

Honestly your best bet would be to get an OEM one and be done with it.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 PM

I've seen Exmark models that have 8-10 different clutches in the same year under the same Exmark part number. You've got to go by the clutch maker and number every time. They are never interchangeable.

Tags
ferris , pto.electric , walk behind