Register free!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i agree with what ric said. i am alittle futher south then ric and bahia looks good for a few years but the ph catches up with them and it starts to thin and looks like crap.

i guess if you have the right soil for it then it would be a great choice.. but i'll pass and keep my floratam....
Old 04-22-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
IMO-Bahia that gets fert/irrigation is like a skirt steak with seasoning, it's still a skirt steak. It's funny how customers in your area irrigate/fert Bahia but will request you to cut zoysia at 4" with a big ztr.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not all Bahia here gets irrigation and fert.....just some. That is the funny thing though why I bring up this post..most people think that Bahia is what they see when they go by the lawns that do not irrigate or fert or do any kind of weed control. When in fact this lawn looks pretty darn nice overall. Like I said it is not as thick as St. Augustine when you are on top of it, but from the road side it is a attractive turf as it is generally deep deep green. The company that does the pest and fert does a good job on weed control too. The lawn is generally pretty weed free.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
bahia is crap....you can make it look good for a while but eventually it will be nothing more than weeds...
That has not been the case on this lawn or a couple other of the bahias that I have that are treated the same way. I think in the end it is about mgmt of water, mechanical and fert and pest control just as any turf grass.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
That has not been the case on this lawn or a couple other of the bahias that I have that are treated the same way. I think in the end it is about mgmt of water, mechanical and fert and pest control just as any turf grass.
The most we have been able to get out of bahia is 4-5 yrs...then it starts to decline no matter what we try...i would love to be able to keep it looking great as there is a lot of it in our area..we just cant seem to get past the 5 yr point...and that is with a lot of tlc...way more than flor./st.aug. ect.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I've been messing around with bahia grass for over 35 years. IMO, it's just a basic soil covering...the least desirable of all residential turf species. As stated above, it can look presentable from a distance or on a "drive-by", but closer inspection usually reveals a thin canopy with systemic weed invasion. Given too much water, fertilizer and "love", bahia tends to respond negatively...especially over time.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
I've been messing around with bahia grass for over 35 years. IMO, it's just a basic soil covering...the least desirable of all residential turf species. As stated above, it can look presentable from a distance or on a "drive-by", but closer inspection usually reveals a thin canopy with systemic weed invasion. Given too much water, fertilizer and "love", bahia tends to respond negatively...especially over time.

Just East of me in the center of the state, is grassland that made Florida the 2nd largest cattle state after Texas, at one time. The soil in that area is such that Bahia does extremely well. Bahia Sod is actually cut from those pastures. But once the sod is relaid on our Gulf Coast Calcareous sand it start to decline.

Many years ago I went to a seminar. The speaker's first statement was. He would tell us the least expensive way to have grass in a Yard. His method was to replace Bahia every 5 years spending no money on it during that time. The Math he showed worked out. As cheap as Bahia sod is, Fertilizer and Pesticide over a 5 year period cost more than replacement.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Just East of me in the center of the state, is grassland that made Florida the 2nd largest cattle state after Texas, at one time. The soil in that area is such that Bahia does extremely well. Bahia Sod is actually cut from those pastures. But once the sod is relaid on our Gulf Coast Calcareous sand it start to decline.

Many years ago I went to a seminar. The speaker's first statement was. He would tell us the least expensive way to have grass in a Yard. His method was to replace Bahia every 5 years spending no money on it during that time. The Math he showed worked out. As cheap as Bahia sod is, Fertilizer and Pesticide over a 5 year period cost more than replacement.

Ric is right on the money on this !
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Ric is right on the money on this !

Real Dirt with a pH of 6 and Bahia is hard to kill. It is a fairly good utility turf under those condition. It doesn't require irrigation and Greens up with the first rain in spring. If any thing you can over fertilize Bahia but you can never under fertilize Bahia.

Fact is Zturncutter makes a very nice living doing mostly Bahia Turf. It works well for him because of his area's soil.

AS for the Blue Hairs. I have a few. I told both my children, My town is a nice place to be FROM. My son lives in Las Vegas and My daughter lives in Miami.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I also have had and currently maintain some interesting St. Augustine lawns that were started decades ago by pulling plugs from grandmas lawn or some other friend or relative. They are much tougher than the current types of St. Augustine sod available today, they are generally not as dense though. I think some of the lawns may be what used to be called Florida common. One of the ranches has nice bahia in the open areas around the lodge and St. Augustine around the borders of the Live Oak hammocks, never watered or pesticides applied.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
I also have had and currently maintain some interesting St. Augustine lawns that were started decades ago by pulling plugs from grandmas lawn or some other friend or relative. They are much tougher than the current types of St. Augustine sod available today, they are generally not as dense though. I think some of the lawns may be what used to be called Florida common. One of the ranches has nice bahia in the open areas around the lodge and St. Augustine around the borders of the Live Oak hammocks, never watered or pesticides applied.
Interesting.

I have some Straight Ant Kill customers who also have St Augustine and no Irrigation. The only treatment they get is Ant Kill which also takes out Chinch bugs. Even as dry as this has been, these Lawns are doing well. While I can't call them WEED FREE, I will say they have less weeds than yards with irrigation and TG/CL type treatments.