Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Razorblades-

I believe you're getting way too defensive for no reason. I am not, and never did in this thread, compare the 7 Iron to your tunnel deck, nor have a criticized your deck. Just the opposite if you re-read my last post to you.

This thread is about the MF Z's and they have the same approx. BTS as my CUT's deck (very close), and very close to the same depth of deck and tunnel. I know what mine will do, and pretty much exactly what to expect then from the MF deck. That's my comparison in this thread. Another thing is that if the tunnel decks (of any make) were the best way to go, you can bet your last buck that every major manu would be switching over to them. There's a reason they're that deep deck over the entire cutting area of the deck.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bear, I'll admit when I'm wrong and I am wrong. I also apologize about insulting you. I was also in the middle of a BAAAAD day when I saw your post. Again my apologies. If you do look at the pdf they do seem like a heavy duty machine, but then my question would be why would someone like Ridin Green say

If you read through this PDF, you'll see they are really more of a high end homeowner/low end commercial mower. Both the diesels weigh in less than many gas models from other name brands which is great for the turf, but it tells me that there's not as much material in their construction overall, and they have much lower BTS's as well. They also have tunnel decks, which I know firsthand will cut every bit as good as any deck made, but not when you're dealing with large amounts of thick grass, and taking of several inches at a time at high speed as is common in the spring. They do look interesting though, and I hope they turn out to be another good choice eventually.

http://www.masseyferguson.us/Library...s-Brochure.pdf

Just a thought to toss out there. MF needs to make it easier to find when doing a google search to be honest with you.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 04-25-2012, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestImpressions99 View Post
Bear, I'll admit when I'm wrong and I am wrong. I also apologize about insulting you. I was also in the middle of a BAAAAD day when I saw your post. Again my apologies. If you do look at the pdf they do seem like a heavy duty machine, but then my question would be why would someone like Ridin Green say

If you read through this PDF, you'll see they are really more of a high end homeowner/low end commercial mower. Both the diesels weigh in less than many gas models from other name brands which is great for the turf, but it tells me that there's not as much material in their construction overall, and they have much lower BTS's as well. They also have tunnel decks, which I know firsthand will cut every bit as good as any deck made, but not when you're dealing with large amounts of thick grass, and taking of several inches at a time at high speed as is common in the spring. They do look interesting though, and I hope they turn out to be another good choice eventually.

http://www.masseyferguson.us/Library...s-Brochure.pdf

Just a thought to toss out there. MF needs to make it easier to find when doing a google search to be honest with you.
Gus,
I mentioned in my post above yours where I replied to Razorblades why I think they are more high end homeowner/low end commercial as they are right now. With minor changes they could become what I would consider full commercial machines.

As far as the weight goes, like MCLC pointed out to me (because I flat out missed it in the PDF) the weight is without the mower deck, so they would probably be comparable wight wise to other diesel Z's.

I would like to see them offer the full depth decks like those on most other machines as an option for use in areas where it would be beneficial, and a little higher BTS's. Then I think they'd be on to something pretty good.

Too bad they are so few and far between. None of the dealers I have called have any (like I posted elsewhere here). Most are selling some other more well established line right now. Maybe that will soon change, and they'll start carrying their own line. I hope so, but even if it does, there simply aren't many MF dealers around anymore (at least not around me anywhere much) in the US as compared to overseas where they are very popular.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Bear, I'll admit when I'm wrong and I am wrong. I also apologize about insulting you. I was also in the middle of a BAAAAD day when I saw your post. Again my apologies...
No problemo, there dude. Been there, done that myself more than I care to admit.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Razorblades-

I believe you're getting way too defensive for no reason. I am not, and never did in this thread, compare the 7 Iron to your tunnel deck, nor have a criticized your deck. Just the opposite if you re-read my last post to you.

This thread is about the MF Z's and they have the same approx. BTS as my CUT's deck (very close), and very close to the same depth of deck and tunnel. I know what mine will do, and pretty much exactly what to expect then from the MF deck. That's my comparison in this thread. Another thing is that if the tunnel decks (of any make) were the best way to go, you can bet your last buck that every major manu would be switching over to them. There's a reason they're that deep deck over the entire cutting area of the deck.

Ridin Green,

I guess I did get a little defensive,lol. Sorry about that. I respect and always like to read your posts on these topics.

I also know that the tunnel deck design is not the most desired deck design and it like most others, has its compromises. I realize the tunnel deck is not a mulching deck, one compromise. You can bag with them but they may not be as good as the std type decks for that.they are best suited for side discharging, albeit with longer clippings most of the time. Another possible compromise.

I figure that one of the most important reasons for the std (full depth) decks popularity it the versatility of being able to do all of the above and do them well. Some decks excelling at fine clipping discharge, with alot of vaccum (better at striping) but they might not do so well on tall,thick or wet grass, leaving clumps, and not cutting fast or clean in those conditions.

Other decks like the 7 Iron, Velocity plus and a few others, are very versatile in about all conditions. When matched with the right blade combo, will cut the clippings very fine also.

I still believe that the Pro Ride deck will hang right with the Velocity plus, & Iron and any of the other std, full depth decks when cutting tall, thick grass (at least Southern grasses, bahia, dallis grass etc) at a fast speed. It will leave longer clippings of course. I read alot about the EverRides 5-6 years ago and most of the owners and users of them all agreed that they could cut with any other brand in the tall, thick grasses, especially the southerm grasses. The EverRide Literature and Videos also mentioned alot about being designed to excel in those conditions. Not trying to be argumentative about this, it is just my opinion and a growing amount of experience with it.

I also agree that the MF decks need more BTS to be as effective as possible. They do look pretty heavy duty to me, the Iseki built ones, that is. There were some older thread on them, with some liking them pretty well and some saying that they didn't cut near as well as the Kubota's, which they were being compared to at the time.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorblades View Post
Ridin Green,

I guess I did get a little defensive,lol. Sorry about that. I respect and always like to read your posts on these topics.

I also know that the tunnel deck design is not the most desired deck design and it like most others, has its compromises. I realize the tunnel deck is not a mulching deck, one compromise. You can bag with them but they may not be as good as the std type decks for that.they are best suited for side discharging, albeit with longer clippings most of the time. Another possible compromise.

I figure that one of the most important reasons for the std (full depth) decks popularity it the versatility of being able to do all of the above and do them well. Some decks excelling at fine clipping discharge, with alot of vaccum (better at striping) but they might not do so well on tall,thick or wet grass, leaving clumps, and not cutting fast or clean in those conditions.

Other decks like the 7 Iron, Velocity plus and a few others, are very versatile in about all conditions. When matched with the right blade combo, will cut the clippings very fine also.

I still believe that the Pro Ride deck will hang right with the Velocity plus, & Iron and any of the other std, full depth decks when cutting tall, thick grass (at least Southern grasses, bahia, dallis grass etc) at a fast speed. It will leave longer clippings of course. I read alot about the EverRides 5-6 years ago and most of the owners and users of them all agreed that they could cut with any other brand in the tall, thick grasses, especially the southerm grasses. The EverRide Literature and Videos also mentioned alot about being designed to excel in those conditions. Not trying to be argumentative about this, it is just my opinion and a growing amount of experience with it.

I also agree that the MF decks need more BTS to be as effective as possible. They do look pretty heavy duty to me, the Iseki built ones, that is. There were some older thread on them, with some liking them pretty well and some saying that they didn't cut near as well as the Kubota's, which they were being compared to at the time.
It's all good my brother.

I like tunnel decks for general cutting purposes just fine, and have a ton of saddle time on top of quite a few different tunnel decks. I still have a couple of them. It has been my experience that they will stripe great in northern grasses, and bag darn good too. I just have to go a little slower on them in thicker tall lush grass to keep from clumping. The pics below are of my 22 YO JD 240 w/14 HP Kawi, and 46" deck. The deck isn't particularly deep in the rear section, and about average for the time period in the tunnel area (approx 4 1/2" avaerage depth). I run a powerflo bagger on it for fall leaves and spring trash clean-up part of the time. I use it for rougher areas that are too tight to use my Z's, or are just too rough, with multiple dips/humps where scalping is a concern like a playground. It lays down as good a cut as can be had with sharp blades, and stripes very well. The last pic is cutting at 3", and taking off 6" of weedy stemy grass that was fairly thick. It did it in one pass, but I had to double cut to get rid of the longer clippings as you mentioned. I am sure your Z's are a far cry better at it than this old tractor is though, but I understand how you feel about them.
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sheeeesh, lets NOT get the times when we were wrong because of booze involved... wrong forum. LOL
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Sheeeesh, lets NOT get the times when we were wrong because of booze involved... wrong forum. LOL
Gee, I never recall being all that wrong when I imbibed heavily enough.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I want to know how the 36 vanguard is holding up? How about gph?
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER
Old 11-23-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any updates on these machines? Prices?