Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2000, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Occasionally when im doing some hedge trimming my clients ask if i can cut down some branches of their small tress but since i dont have a chainsaw i decline. Anyone recommend a certain gas one? I was thinking of a echo or something somewhere in the price range of $150-250? Thanks
Old 06-29-2000, 11:44 AM

Husqvarna in my opinion is a nice chainsaw. Cost between 300 to 400$ But nothing worse than buying a cheap chainsaw. Unless you like working on them all the time. We have no stihl dealors close by.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Charles
Old 06-29-2000, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think anyone who's in grounds maintenance biz should have a chain saw. Its good for making some extra cash when things are slow. Like you said, to cut small limbs, also think about after-storm cleanup, fallen trees and limbs. Also if you live in a colder climate, think about delivering firewood if you have access to a dump truck.<p>But as far as brands go, I've always ran Stihl when it comes to chainsaws and concrete saws, even now in the Air Force, thats all we use. They are very dependable, low maint. machines, and the prices aren't too bad compared to echo, etc. Check them out. They also have a &quot;tool- less&quot; chain tightening syaytem that saves a ton of time in the field. I know your probobly looking for something small for what you say you'll be doing, but check out a larger power unit if it's not too much more $cratch. You'll be thankfull later if you end up getting more jobs for it, you can put a longer bar on it. Keep your options open and do the research!! Hope this helps<br><p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti
Old 06-29-2000, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl gets my vote. I have two 028 supers. They are very reliable.
Old 06-29-2000, 01:21 PM
Millenium Member

Husqvarna or Stihl, you can't go wrong with either. I bought a Husqvarna at Northern Tool, was $289.00, was on sale for $259.00 and I had a 15% off coupon so I got it for $220.00. Much cheaper that the Stihl and cut through trees like butter!
Old 06-29-2000, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only 1 word.STHIL.They invented the chain saw and have been making the best ever since then.At my sthil dealership in town they are allways tuning up and working on 30 year old sthils!They never die!And if you cant afford a large sthil you can buy smaller pruning chain saws.But I suggest if at all possible get a commercial rated sthil.Hope this helps!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 06-29-2000, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You know what I'am going to say...STHIL..spend a little more..300.00 to 400.00..You will be glad you did.<p>----------<br>John <br>
Old 06-29-2000, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Where I work we use a Husky 257 (I think). It is great. it cuts through stuff so easliy and is reliable.
Old 06-29-2000, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

WE USE ALL ECHO PRODUCTS. IVE USED THE CHEAPEST MODEL ECHO CS-3000. I DO ALL PHASES OF TREE CARE. HAVE DROPPED 14' FOOT CALIPER LIVE OAK WITH THESE SAWS. I DROPPED ALL THE BRUSH DOWN TO THE ROOF LINE AND FINISH UP WITH A 48&quot; BAR. WE DO OVER $ 50,000 A YEAR IN TREE CARE AND MAINLY USE OUR $200.00 SAWS. ALL THOSE OTHER BRANDS ARE GOOD SAWS BUT TO INVEST ALOT OF MONEY INTO ONE PIECE OF TWO CYCLE AND NOT USE IT EVERY DAY IS KIND OF BAD. ( I HAVE A STIHL CHAIN SAW USED ONCE THAT SITS IN OUR SHOP )WE RUN A 14&quot; BAR AND WE TRIM EVERYTHING. WE MAINTAIN LARGE COMMERCIAL AND OUR SAWS HANDLE ANYTHING.HOPE THIS HELPS
Old 06-29-2000, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

We use Sthil everything. Blowers, saws, trimmers, hedgers. We have very few problems with them. We probably have ovedr 40 pieces of Sthil product now.<p>----------<br>Dale Wiley<br>Maintenance/Operations Manager