Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2012, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Business Expense - Clothing?

I certainly deduct my company shirts/hoodies from my taxes. However, could jeans be a business expense too? Ive always paid for them personally but I go through so many pants each year, shoes too, due to the nature of the work. From what Ive read clothing has to be used entirely for business to be expensed and they certainly do...typically wear shorts or nicer pants when not working. Not sure how the irs would look at it and they take enough from me as it is. Thanks for the help
Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That is about it. if it can be worn outside of the work area you really can't deduct it.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I buy Dickies pants for working. And, personally I wouldn't wear them anywhere outside of work. And those things last forever too. So, I deduct them. I don't know if they would question pants and jeans. I mean once you've worked in them 5-6 times you wouldn't want to wear them anywhere else. Same with shoes. I mean, I know I am buying them to work in, and I certainly wouldn't wear work shoes outside of work. I guess if I ever audited, I would see what they would say about it. But, if I buy something to use for work, it is deducted.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My CPA deducts just about everything possible. We have talked about this in the past and he told be that if I provide it for employees then it would not raise a flag if I do it for myself. I provide dickies for the guys so that they are in matching uniforms, I don't usually wear them myself but deduct the same value for me as I do for each of them. I instead typically wear nice jeans or kakis. I could save a few bucks if I deducted the actual value of my work pants, but it is safer to just do it with the employees. One thing I have considered is instead of typical dickies I get for everyone is to order pants with a small company logo on the leg, he says I would be safer to order for myself that way as my kakis would be invoiced from the uniform company instead of a department store receipt.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. I was actually just talking to someone the other day who said I should just have some company patches made and put on the pants I buy.Not much different then a company shirt then.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
That is about it. if it can be worn outside of the work area you really can't deduct it.
Not really.

This embroidered shirt is being worn 300 miles from my main work location. All my embroidered shirts are listed as a business expense. I use them for working in and for advertising.

Although, lately the forest part of my website started to bring in advertising revenue, so I've begun to claim forests as my work area too, along with mileage, and photography equipment.
Attached Images

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you really want to deduct it. I'm sure the accountant can bury it somewhere.