Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2012, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

mtnmower-

Awmmmm, I'm tellin' Gravely that you didn't like something! I mean, what kind of guy would get a mower for a demo, them say anything negative about it?

Another good review bro!

It sounds to me like the new 400 series has an awful lot in common with the JD 900's. JD is missing the mark by not making the suspension seat std, but everything else is very well laid out and useful. I forget why you don't want one- can't get one or something like that wasn't it? Too bad, because you may have been very happy. I still don't believe that the small discharge opening will be the best thing in/for wet grass with the Gravely, but they are mighty fine looking machines. I just wish we had more dealers around here in case of needing service or parts.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfuel100 View Post
What oil will you use? Synthetic? Brand and weight please. I picked up an oil filter when I purchased the mower.

My 460 is at 8hrs and I'd like to change mine.

I'd review the 460 but it is the only ZTR I've ever driven. I have nothing to compare except my 12 year old Sears Poulan Pro.

I will say WOW! The mower flat out cuts grass. I forgot to buckle up and didn't realize it until I was finished.

I drove it to my lot (1.5 miles), mowed 4 acres, drove it back, mowed my .4 acre (home) lot in 2.5 hrs. First time on a ZTR in my life.

I was not paying attention and backed over a news paper (Washington Post) and picked up confetti for 15 minutes.

Jim
Im going to use the kawi 30 weight for my first oil change. Then at 50 hours I will switch to mobil 1 10w-30. Thats what I run in all my equipment and have always had good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Gravely may have hit a homerun with the 400 series, but I still was not impressed with the 260 series. They had no reverse traction, sucked so bad I took the mower back after buying it. Gravely took it back too. Now the 400 series I like , and would demo one when I get ready to buy again. My biggest concern is when pointing downhill can you back up enough to make a turn. The 260 slowed me down trying not to spin the wheels, or slide downhill. I still want to see more pics on hills of the 400 series.
I havent had any traction problems yet. The 400 is a whole different animal than the 200. Give it a demo and let us know what you think.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Im going to use the kawi 30 weight for my first oil change. Then at 50 hours I will switch to mobil 1 10w-30. Thats what I run in all my equipment and have always had good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I will do the same.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How does the 400 do on hills? The 260 wasnt that good
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER
Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I also heard someone talk about using line-x. I guess in the first coats there is a really tough clear coat like glass, they were talking about getting new mowers sprayed. I dont know if this is true or not.
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER
Old 04-27-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
mtnmower-

Awmmmm, I'm tellin' Gravely that you didn't like something! I mean, what kind of guy would get a mower for a demo, them say anything negative about it?

Another good review bro!

It sounds to me like the new 400 series has an awful lot in common with the JD 900's. JD is missing the mark by not making the suspension seat std, but everything else is very well laid out and useful. I forget why you don't want one- can't get one or something like that wasn't it? Too bad, because you may have been very happy. I still don't believe that the small discharge opening will be the best thing in/for wet grass with the Gravely, but they are mighty fine looking machines. I just wish we had more dealers around here in case of needing service or parts.

Yea. Big brother internet police are watching! Maybe the Walker guy will call my Gravely dealer as well!?!?!

The main reason I won't consider JD is because of the persistent add that keeps popping up, that I must ex out of to get into this site!

No, really if you go about 14 threads up, you'll see the method to my madness. The 460 is a good mower. There may be greater mowers out there. One or two grand, when spending this much, is nothing in making my decision. I'll pay it in a heart beat to get the better mower. But when you're talking three to five grand difference when adding the options that's when I start rethinking things. I could by a new hydro walk behind or who know maybe gas with that extra green!

I'm not going to lie to you. The chute design still bothers me and I didn't get as much time as I'd of liked on different grass types, moisture, and slopes. I'm sure it has it's weak points. I was having trouble finding many in the time I had and as you've probably figured out by now, I can pick stuff apart pretty well (Just ask Walker). I can tell you, I cut side by side with my XR7 deck in fairly dry, thick, fine grass and the clipping dispersal was night and day. I could easily save myself half an hour to an hour blowing clippings and either make an early day of it or add another yard or two. I thought I had a grip on deck design, but when you look at the XR7 deck, Huskys deck, Scags, Deere, etc. they have a lot, and I mean a lot in common, yet the XR7 failed and the Husky was ok but not great, Scag and Deere seem to have the magic. You wouldn't think being so closely alike there would be this kind of difference. Yet this X factor, which looks like it should cause more problems way out performed the XR7 in clipping dispersal and I've tried about every baffle configuration available with no luck. I didn't think to throw a tape measure on the opening to see what it was. I know it's narrower than some but I was looking at my XR7 opening and I believe some of it is an optical illusion. My XR7 has about 4-5" of flat surface before the chute starts, the 460 has about 2". The XR7 has very little or no flat surface at the back of the deck. It pretty much goes right into the radius, but the 460 has this odd 6-8" chunk with an inner baffle at that point going inward toward the spindle. The 460 is more forward of center in the deck. I think if Gravely had not added this rear squared off section and you were looking at the radius curve of the deck it may not look so different. IMO this flat surface is there more to strengthen the deck for blower support when it's installed which seems like a good idea. So yea, I'm sure it's a little smaller but the thing that throws me off is I usually see the opening start further back on the deck and then extend all the way to the back, maybe with a tapered opening, without the hunk of flat 90 degree metal corner. It's hard for me to believe that with all the cad and wind tunnel computer type programs that a manufacturer can't find the perfect deck and blade recipe for northern and southern grasses and either offer a different deck for each area or a way to modify the deck to fit both areas.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Check this out! Uses a knob to mount to the deck. No more bungie cords!
Ah... So that's how it goes. When I took it off to see how it did without it, I left it in the yard and probably would have driven off and left it. The only down side is this farm boy can't make his homemade operator controlled chute blocker ( read a piece of rope) with this set up. I'd have to step it up and buy the city version. Great marketing on Gravelys part. Less liability if it's set in the normal position and if you want the best of both world you need to buy their chute blocker or an aftermarket version.

I just notice you deck has a square hole in the back top for the pin on the chute or blower. IIRC the 460 had a round hole and round pin. Is the pin on your chute and blower square or are you putting a round pin in a square hole? Sorry couldn't help myself.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone tried to install a front JRCO thatch rake on a 400 with the bagger weight kit installed on the front? Looks tight.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

They are on the mower. Going out in a few to cut my lawn. These things are huge and beefy compared to the OEM blades.

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)