Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2003, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Advertising

What is the best way to advertise a lawn business?
Old 06-01-2003, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Word of mouth...do good work and the work will come to you!
Old 06-05-2003, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Word of mouth is the best, I have found. But when I first started out there was none of that. I did everything. Fliers, newspaper, telephone book. It took a good 4-5 years to build a reputation and get 'known'. Now most of my business comes from neighbors of customers, which is a mixed blessing. Right now I've got more work than I can handle, so I'm not worried. In fact, my phone book rep is pissed because I'm cutting my ad. But if I have more than I can handle, what's the point in advertising more and wasting my $$?

Old 06-05-2003, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Being that this is my first commercial season, I thought that a big ad budget was a must. Hmm. Not really so.

We advertise in several papers and on the local cable channel. Boy, what a bad idea.

If you go with papers, our "nickle" or classified ad gained us many, many bargain seekers and the yard-sale mentality. Definately go with the Service Directory listings! That's where folks expect to find a professional. Another, small ad in the paper somewhere is good too.

Nothing from the cable channel - go figure.

If I could afford it now, I'd do yellow pages, but around here it's several hundred dollars per month for anything more than a simple name & number.

The best BY FAR is word of mouth, as mentioned above. Also simple but clean-cut flyers posted around the areas that folks frequent (not hand-drawn or cheesy, but do it on a computer or have a friend do it - something).

Get the word out, word out, word out. Get the name out there and make it something to be proud of - this is YOUR thing. Exposure in the nicest possible manner will build the business. The first year is slow, but the potential can be seen.

I read a post from someone more experienced a few months ago on this forum that "you are as busy as you want to be". I try to remember that and never be without business cards, and hand out or hang flyers when you're not working. Tonight I'm on here learning and sharing. Printing more cards and flyers, etc.

Believe it or not, I am more excited about this business than I ever was about Amway or something similar!

Best wishes!
Old 06-05-2003, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Word of mouth is always the best. But I also like to use fliers because I can target the customer. Adds in newspapers, etc bring people who are going to "shop" you for the most part. Other good advertising is the internet..I get about 90% of my business that way...and its much less expensive than the phonebook.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Georgiehopper
Word of mouth is always the best. But I also like to use fliers because I can target the customer. Adds in newspapers, etc bring people who are going to "shop" you for the most part. Other good advertising is the internet..I get about 90% of my business that way...and its much less expensive than the phonebook.
Wow, cool! Where or how do you advertise on the INternet that you get results like that? I mean are you listed on a lot of other sites or something, or simply have your own web site?
Old 06-09-2003, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Internet?

How do you advertise on internet to reach a local area?

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 07-01-2003, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

our phone book sbc offers somthing like that for the internet.
Jason