Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Trugreen meltdown

I was working on a clean up job today in a really nice neighborhood. While I was on my way out to the truck I see the Trugreen guy has pulled up across the street. I was standing there getting a drink and I heard a commotion followed by mf this and gd that at a very loud volume. I hung out there for a minute and messed with my phone trying to get a video of this guy totally loosing his mind. He was slamming doors and throwing things cussing the whole time. i don't know exactly what was going on but it was quite funny in a way but the lack of profesionalism was appaling. Is it that rough working for Trugreen?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't know, shouldn't even pay that no mind, keep working.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Don't know, shouldn't even pay that no mind, keep working.
Agreed. Myob and keep working. Unless someone is physically being harmed do not involve yourself. Not every situation is a YouTube moment as well.
easy-lift guy
Old 04-28-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

can't say i've never done something like that in my lifetime myself. we all have bad days now and then. give the guy a break.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It is somewhat common for me to have an outburst like that. One day this spring when it was real wet the blower for my grass catcher plugged up, so I pulled up next to the truck to fix it. As I angrily tossed the tube into my truck, it bounced out and flew into the street right in front of a car. The neighbor across the street brought it over to me lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone has good and bad days -- I know I do. Maybe this guy just got some bad news, like his wife left him or someoen he knows and loves is in the hospital. Maybe something went wrong with his work equipment. Maybe he just takes his job really seriously and remembered about something he was supposed to at a previous customer's property.

Its easy to rag on this guy as being unprofessional, but I think we've all days when we did something or said something during the course of our jobs when we thought no one else was looking that we may not have done if we knew someone was looking. I'm certainly not perfect. I don't know why you're trying to hold this guy to that standard, unless you're perfect on your own.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

From what I've read Tg is a nightmare to work for. Impossible quotas, chinese overtime and numerous other labor issues. Every time I pull another of their signs from a customers yard it has a new lower price on it.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i've worked for quite a few lawn co's when i was younger. trugreen for the longest, there was those days with them... don't get me wrong, in this line of work i know that long days, weekend work is just to be expected.. but with them it was for crap pay.

it especially sucked when you had a goal to hit for the day, or you can't come back in till its dark.. ( some people have lives outside of work) and usually you would pull up to every new sale yard, and its measured and priced at 3,000 sq. ft. so you are spraying 20,000 sq. ft. yards for 29 dollars thinking you will never hit that goal... end up spraying 50 yards in a day just to satisfy the requirements for the boss man.

then everywheres you go people come up to you with there stories of how "trugreen burned my grandmas lawn, and they still won't stop calling her to sell her stuff".. etc.. etc..

i've had stuff thrown at me from moving cars when i worked for trugreen.. lol.

F@CK trugreen.. they treat the customers and the employees like crap. your nothing but a number there.. that place will never change, i heard they have tried.. but friends of mine that still work there that seem to think there is no other options for them are still miserable at that place. i know people who have been there as techs for over 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Lawns View Post
I was working on a clean up job today in a really nice neighborhood. While I was on my way out to the truck I see the Trugreen guy has pulled up across the street. I was standing there getting a drink and I heard a commotion followed by mf this and gd that at a very loud volume. I hung out there for a minute and messed with my phone trying to get a video of this guy totally loosing his mind. He was slamming doors and throwing things cussing the whole time. i don't know exactly what was going on but it was quite funny in a way but the lack of profesionalism was appaling. Is it that rough working for Trugreen?
Old 06-15-2012, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't even have to explain it but in reality they are the best thing that ever happened to our industry in my opinion. And no I'm not saying I'm a fan...
Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have several properties in common with the TruGreen applicator in my area. He has been with TG for 28 (29?) years, and is one of the nicest gentlemen one could meet. He knows my properties, and often will change up his schedule so that we don't conflict.

We just crossed paths last week. He came to work a property that I had just started. He stopped by, asked how long I would be, and agreed to find other properties to work and return. He sometimes waves me down to tell me that he will not be working a property he knows is on my list for the day.

In other words, he goes out of his way to be accommodating. If he was not well-liked by his clients, and TG, he would not still be working with them after nearly three decades.

Bottom line: dangerous to make blanket assertions.