Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-28-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Transformer not rated for .....

Kichler transformer spec sheet says not rated for fixtures in water with humans..or something like that....
I need to put a couple LED Underwater lights into a waterfall that spills into a pool....i was always assuming it is safe, but why the disclaimer on transformer, and is it actually not safe?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Zohan,

Check this thread out, it might help you out. Also just do a search on Pool and Spa rated transformers and a ton of threads will come up with valuable information.
Hope this helps

Ken

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...d+Transformers
Member of ILLI, , LO
Old 04-28-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't matter if the transformer is rated for. If your fixture isnt rated for human contact aka swimming pool then your fixture wont work. Im quality of putting 1 or 2 underwater lights in a koi pond on a standard transformer. But you wont find me using underwater lights in a waterfall for pool. Unless its a pentair or jandy or something pool rated..... Thats why we have fiber optics for pools
Old 04-28-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

should be spa and pool rated, but gotta tell you, seen tons of them installed by pool companies, and I am very unimpressed by the quality and feel of these "rated" trans. they look super cheap.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Member

im confused....the lights are rated for underwater use so no problem there. Question is do i need a transformer that is rated for use with water fixtures that will be in a human contact area?
Worried about a safety issue...

I will check the link too...thx
Old 04-29-2012, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
im confused....the lights are rated for underwater use so no problem there. Question is do i need a transformer that is rated for use with water fixtures that will be in a human contact area?
Worried about a safety issue...

I will check the link too...thx
NEC 680.23(A)(2)

Transformers used to supply underwater luminaries must be listed as a swimming pool and spa transformer ó and be of the isolating-winding type with a grounded metal barrier between the primary and secondary windings [680.23(A)(2)]. Branch circuits that supply underwater luminaries greater than 15V must be GFCI protected [680.23(A)(3)].

In 680.2, the NEC defines three general categories of underwater luminaries. Specifics, such as the wiring methods allowed to the forming shell and bonding requirements, are included for each type as follows:

* Wet-niche [680.23(B)].
* Dry-niche [680.23(C)].
* No-niche [680.23(D)].
Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&MLL View Post
Doesn't matter if the transformer is rated for. If your fixture isnt rated for human contact aka swimming pool then your fixture wont work. Im quality of putting 1 or 2 underwater lights in a koi pond on a standard transformer. But you wont find me using underwater lights in a waterfall for pool. Unless its a pentair or jandy or something pool rated..... Thats why we have fiber optics for pools
Don't let the nut jobs at PETA find out out that you could unwittingly zap some goldfish with your non-human rated light fixtures. They love to assign human status and attributes to animals and sue everyone (but the dog) for it. Animals good, humans bad. :'(

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 04-29-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Ok, great info guys thanks....
what I had planned on using (among other fixtures) was this http://www.landscapelighting.com/por...detail/15711SS

and this http://www.landscapelighting.com/por...tail/15PR900SS

but I guess thats a no go now. If I want to still do the pool waterfall I have 2 options
1. Put the fixtures along sides of waterfall instead of under the water
2. use a separate transformer rated for this
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There was a company that produced 12volt lighting fixtures for humnan contact. They are very expensive but try looking up nexxan or a company with a similar name. Pentair, jandy, hayward all make lights but most need to be in a niche. Not a free standing fixture.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I haven't done any waterfall lights yet, so I ask you guys, if I put the lights right next to the stones where the water flows over will that look good at night or will it not work?