Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Splotchy Colored Lawn

I have complete faith that someone on here will be able to help me with this:

I helped my next door neighbor renovate his front yard last fall. We slit-seeded with the same blend I used on my yard. It was a 80/20 KBG/Rye. The KBG was a mixture of midnight, nuglade, award, and bedazzled.

Now his lawn looks like army fatigues! Early in the spring it was a dark uniform color, but now the spots that filled in are lighter green while his existing grass is much darker. I am a little embarrassed about it since he was hoping I could help.

Questions: Do you think the new turf is lighter because it isn't mature and needs N to get dark or has a longer spring green-up? I checked NTEP and all the varieties of grass have a "dark green" color.

Or, do you think its a soil issue?

He is due for his second round of fert in a few weeks and I plan to let him use some of my LESCO 25-0-6. Maybe this will help since it was most uniform after I put down Dimension with 15%N.

Thanks for any help you could give.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like poa trivialis.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

any pics of the lawn
What was done to it this year for lawn treatments
Old 04-29-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Here are two pics. One is from the front yard. One is from my backyard which has had the same seed sown and the same fert program. I am thinking it has too much N. I put down Dimension w/15% for him when he was out of town, not knowing he had already used Scotts Pre-E with fert.

Would too much N cause that new growth to yellow a bit? Here's what I just noticed as I was just talking to him. He has cracks in the driveway and walk where the seed planted last year got into. That grass is a nice dark green and seems really healthy. Obviously those spots were not fertilized this spring and are doing great.

Any ideas??
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The newer dark green varieties like Midnight and the similar grasses that you used...are really dark in color...so the perennial rye shows up as yellow.

Or maybe that light green is his old grass.
Or maybe that light green in annual bluegrass Poa annua. Are there a lot of seeds on the troublesome grass? Got pictures?
http://msuturfweeds.net/details/_/annual_bluegrass_47/
Old 04-30-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Riggle: There are some seeds on grasses here and there. But nothing I haven't seen before. At first, I was thinking the rye is a lot lighter, but there is no way all of the yellow areas in the pictures are rye. Only 20% rye was in the blend. Plus, wouldn;t all areas look the same since the blend was the same? The rye would be hard to detect within the stand.

Question: I know I have seen it before, but what do all of those blades of grass that have seeds mean anyway?
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach123 View Post
Riggle: There are some seeds on grasses here and there. But nothing I haven't seen before. At first, I was thinking the rye is a lot lighter, but there is no way all of the yellow areas in the pictures are rye. Only 20% rye was in the blend. Plus, wouldn;t all areas look the same since the blend was the same? The rye would be hard to detect within the stand.

Question: I know I have seen it before, but what do all of those blades of grass that have seeds mean anyway?
Poa....annual bluegrass. It will die in the heat, but all those seeds will germinate year after years.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about seed hulls, that are attached to the grass from germination???
The seed is sitting on top of the growing grass???

Your colors will even out once they get a little older... unless you have annual rye along with your perennial rye... important distinction...
Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

@Smallaxe: That's what I told him...that the colors should even out as they get older. He is just worried that the grass seed that germinated in the cracks in his driveway is the same seed and is a different color. I think time will tell! Also, the seed hulls are present. I don't thinks its annual bluegrass or rye at all. The weather here has been wet and is turning HOT this week. The grass looked its best when it was HOT early this spring. Maybe the heat will help it...who knows..it's a waiting game.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just because you planted a mixture doesn't mean you will always get the same percent. Sometimes the rye takes off first and crowds out the blue. Or sometimes the rye does better if there is a bit of a dry area, in the first few days. Was that area of seed buried too deep?