Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kse1221 View Post
True, and that would be great if I planned on dying on someone's yard in a few years. But you can't be doing hard manual labor in your 60s. Or at least I don't want to. You guys have to have crews. Am I missing something
Posted via Mobile Device
I am 37 bit I am looking to the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Crews cost money, get help when needed, and grow into bigger.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I was having more bad days than good I quit my real job back in 1990.

Went 100% on my own, never had employees, and have no regrets. BUT !!!! I had enough money not go to into debt.... had no dependents.... had no outstanding bills... no real responsibilities.... and had youth and good health.

I survived on my savings to keep going, and now live only on those savings and investments that my real job had provided for me those many years ago. Always made enough to keep going and be happy, but lived ever so frugal for all those years.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! But never never never if I had people that I loved depending on me to provide for them.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Pawn View Post
When I was having more bad days than good I quit my real job back in 1990.

Went 100% on my own, never had employees, and have no regrets. BUT !!!! I had enough money not go to into debt.... had no dependents.... had no outstanding bills... no real responsibilities.... and had youth and good health.

I survived on my savings to keep going, and now live only on those savings and investments that my real job had provided for me those many years ago. Always made enough to keep going and be happy, but lived ever so frugal for all those years.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! But never never never if I had people that I loved depending on me to provide for them.
So you would just be unhappy at your job but be happy that you can only pay your limited bills and have no extra money to do anything else.?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So you would just be unhappy at your job but be happy that you can only pay your limited bills and have no extra money to do anything else.?

May sound goofy.... but yes.

I loved my real job for over 20 years. Was decent money with Excellent benefits and retirement package. But too much changed and had no more satisfaction of a job well done at the end of the day. Not that you always do being self employed either, but your fate is in your own hands more than not.

I passed up a few opportunities over the years to take on some really large accounts because I wanted to remain solo and small, and never had any regrets. Just thank God my health has been good for all these years.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kse1221 View Post
True, and that would be great if I planned on dying on someone's yard in a few years. But you can't be doing hard manual labor in your 60s. Or at least I don't want to. You guys have to have crews. Am I missing something
Posted via Mobile Device
I know several landscapers who are still going strong at 70.If hard manual labor doesn't appeal to you,you don't have what it takes to make it as a landscaper.
The reason they are still working at 70 is they don't have a company sponsored pension plan,just SS and the income from their business.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My son quit his job in North Dakota 3 years ago and came to work in our lawn care business full time. I was wanting to slow down and had enough clients that he could make a living comparable to what he was making in his old job. He is a go getter and since he has joined me the business has more than doubled ( so much for slowing down) .His wages has also increase so that he is making More than his old job. Sometimes it is a gamble but the stress at the corporate level is not worth it. He now enjoys his family more and a whole lot less stress.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Success in lawn care is like success in pursuing a career as a Firefighter EMT. A few make it ....most donít. Some will just take a test score high and interview well and get hired with little to zero preparation. Others get all the books testing material, interview coaching physical training, tattoo removal, volunteering 30 hours a week...... you name it and will never get hired after 15 years of testing.

Mow a few lawns on the weekend keep it simple. There is no way Iíd quit a secure decent paying job with benefits for this.

If you are married be prepared to have your marriage tested. If your wife is not on the same page it will become .... A TOTAL UPHILL BATTLE. Wives need to understand this business is not a regular time clock punching job in a factory. Work is seasonal, weather is a HUGE hassle, family time is sacrificed and along list of other disastrous consequences if there is not a proper understanding of the bigger picture.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ô
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No, no and h*ll no would I quit it!! I will trade you all I have have, truck, equipment and everything for your job right now! Does that answer your question on how I feel? LOL
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whosedog View Post
I know several landscapers who are still going strong at 70.If hard manual labor doesn't appeal to you,you don't have what it takes to make it as a landscaper.
The reason they are still working at 70 is they don't have a company sponsored pension plan,just SS and the income from their business.
My goal is to have a lawn business. Grow my business and have employees doing the back breaking labor. People do it everyday. There is a difference between being self employed (you) and being a business owner. Did Sam Walton still sack groceries at the super Walmart.... No. Does the papa johns pizza guy still deliver pizza? No. I am no stranger to labor, but I want a business not another job.
Posted via Mobile Device