Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking To Upgrade to SCAG

This is my first post on here so bear with me here.

I have been in the Lawn Care & Landscape business for about 4 years now. I have been using a Cub Cadet RZT 50" w/ a Kawasaki 22HP. Along with a John Deere push mower. I have decided that it is time to upgrade. My mower isn't high-grade enough to handle the increasing number of clients I have. I am currently looking at a SCAG Tiger Cat. I was really wanting the Wildcat, but these are no longer made The Turf Tiger is really just too much for me and what I need. My question to you guys is: Should I go for the Tiger Cub now, and later (maybe 4 or 5 more years from now) buy another mower (probably a Turf Tiger)? Or wait and see if SCAG is going to come out with a mower to take the Wildcat's place? I really need a new mower though, the Cub is in the shop right now so I am having to use a Snapper lawn tractor (& i DO NOT recommend this mower). Let me know what you think of this.

SCAG mowers
STIHL power equipment
Redmax trimmers
Chevy
Old 04-30-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I am in the same boat, I am looking at the tt, but dealer was pointing me towards the tigercat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, as I mentioned, for the amount of yard I have now the Tiger Cub is what I'm looking at since the Wildcat is no longer available The Turf Tiger is just too much for me at the moment, but if I was to have about 15-25 more yards along with some extra employees, i will probably buy a TT then. I will buy a walk-behind probably next year or the year after I make this purchase, whatever I decide!

SCAG mowers
STIHL power equipment
Redmax trimmers
Chevy
Old 04-30-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgalawns View Post
I am in the same boat, I am looking at the tt, but dealer was pointing me towards the tigercat.
Posted via Mobile Device
The guy I mow for part time was looking for a new 60 inch mower. He was thinking Gravely. Then Exmark. We stopped at a Scagg dealership to get his chainsaws repaired. He got to looking at the Turf Tiger, setting next to a Cheetah. He asked how much for the TT? How much for the Cheetah? To my surprise they were the same price! Take a guess what Scagg he bought after a demo? Well that was a no brainier! The best thing he ever did was to buy the Cheetah! That reduced his mowing time by half.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Tiger Cat is a perfectly good mower for daily use. What size cut are you looking at getting? I have a 61in cut. Works great.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I was in your same position, debating between the tt and tiger cat. I went with the tiger cat due to less weight and less money. I use it for cutting only and I love it. Cuts way better than my exmar laser z. I mow 95 lawns per week and so far so good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I am looking to get a 52" w/ a Kawasaki. The Tiger Cat seems to be the most economical mower for me at the moment. Like I said, this will be my first professional-grade mower & I wanted to get everyone's opinions befor my purchase. I have always heard only great things about SCAG & that's why they are my #1 pick. At first I was a little skeptical, because it is one of SCAGs "lower end" so-to-speak. I need a professional mower with exceptional cut & I love stil
Posted via Mobile Device

SCAG mowers
STIHL power equipment
Redmax trimmers
Chevy
Old 04-30-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

^cont. from my last post (phone messed up)
& I loge striping & I mow very up-scale homes.
Posted via Mobile Device

SCAG mowers
STIHL power equipment
Redmax trimmers
Chevy
Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a few hrs on a tiger cat and they are a very nice machine, they are every bit as beefy as the Cheetah and TT, just in a smaller chassis, same blades, spindles, powder coat, warranty ect.. It will treat you very well if you decide to go with it.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have 3 Tiger Cats and are very happy with them. You will love the way the Velocity deck cuts. There is nothing low end on this mower,Scag makes a very well built mower. My dealer in Memphis is selling the 52" for $8299 although I'm not sure what engine is on it.

Tags
cub cadet , scag , snapper , tiger cub , wildcat